Personnal Server Howto build

Agurri

I am what I am
Hi guys,

In some days, weeks or months, I would like to make a website for my friend and I. I looked over the internet for some free hosting compagnies, such as geocities and others, but I didn't like them. So, I came with the idea of getting a second computer, and make a server with it. I would get something like that : http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2790454147&category=51110 and I think it would be more than enough. But now the question : How do I do to make this computer acts like a web server ? I do have a router and I'm able to put the computer on LAN.

I run a webserver with FreeBSD on a P2 400 with 384MB of RAM. It runs well enough to use for web browsing as well, just don't put a heavy window manager like KDE or Gnome on it. If you want to run MySQL on it along with apache, you will probably want atleast 256MB of RAM.

I just want a basic server man, nothing big. So, what should I use... I'm really, butt really unfamiliar with your FreeBSD....

Someone else will have to help you with a windows-based server, I wouldn't run one, ever.

if you want go buy the linux in 24hours book, it says how to run a webserver.. + linux is free so you are out less money. save the money from buying windows and get a cheap amd box for like $400, you will be good to go.

...... 400$ for one website ? are you crazy ... I would get that ebay p2 400 mgz and I thought it was too much. What I want is just a basic server to put a website on it.... it doesnt take a fast machine, no ?

Agurri, making a webserver is not as simple as you may want it to be. Generally, here is what you are going to need:

1. Computer
2. Operating System of your choice (I agree with j79zlr on not using Windows, but if you want to, go ahead).
3. Webserver software (I prefer Apache)

Installation of the OS should be pretty simple and depending on whether you are dealing with a UNIX-Based OS (Linux, BSD, etc) or Windows, installing your webserver should be simple as well. j79zlr recommended building a cheap $400 PC because running a webserver can be intensive on the PC, even for just one site. At one point in time, I ran a website on a dedicated server that received so much traffic that I had to upgrade to the top of the line server (at the time) just to be able to handle the traffic. If you use Windows, you are going to need even more power since Windows is more resource intensive than other OS's. I would definately go out and try to find some books on running a webserver before you decide to venture into what you are doing.

athlon 2300+ 512 ddr ram 60gig hd case 52x cdrom. I would suggest getting it, i host 5 websites on my server and it holds up fine, bro's 800 p3 was good ok just wasn't cutting it. you will learn when it comes to computers or hell all electronics being cheap usually ends up costing you more.. but you can learn the hard way, don't forget you have to buy the domain also..

My server is currently a P1 266MHz with 192MB RAM running WIndows 2003 Standard Server with KF Web Server and I host about 5 or 6 sites.

Am gettin a new motherboard tho, P3 850MHz with 768MB or so RAM. :)

No, don't get me confused here, I have a Pentium 2, 400MHz I use as my webserver. I was agreeing that the PC the poster linked to was ok for the job. Even at high traffic, the bandwith always was the bottleneck, not the PC. here is my sys info, http://j79zlr.homeunix.com/info.php

same I have a Celeron 433MHz system with 256MB RAM and two 40GB hard disks which I run as a webserver, hosting a few things on that.

System Info

My little server is a Celeron running at 550mhz, 384mb ram, 30gb disk... holds up perfectly with an ftp, Apache and assorted other little add ons such as UebiMiau.

As far as I can tell, you want to run a Windows based server. Although like everyone, I'd prefer a Linux based server, Windows isn't too bad ... I guess. Why don't you check out all in one installation packages like Foxserv or PHPTriad? You download it as one installation file and upon install, you get Apache/PHP/MySQL. A little more tweaking, and you can have it running to suit your needs.

My OS is XP pro and im using KF Web Server

Good points of it :Free, easy to use and set-up....good basic instructions for setting it up for PHP etc

Only one bad point....you can set-up 'sin-bin' and 'banish' connection / hack attempts....the 'banish' limits dont seem to work properly...and kept causing my webserver to crash...keep to the banish 'defaults' and mine has been working like a dream.

I would rate KF Web server 9/10 especially if you are newbie like me.(however i haven't tried any others!)

It becomes tricky once you have registered your domain name if you don't have a static IP address....like me, unfortunately I haven't got my head around this yet....perhaps some other people can help you.

Geffy said:
same I have a Celeron 433MHz system with 256MB RAM and two 40GB hard disks which I run as a webserver, hosting a few things on that.

System Info

and it works really well, nice and fast :cool:

lad_in_brum said:
My OS is XP pro and im using KF Web Server

Good points of it :Free, easy to use and set-up....good basic instructions for setting it up for PHP etc

Only one bad point....you can set-up 'sin-bin' and 'banish' connection / hack attempts....the 'banish' limits dont seem to work properly...and kept causing my webserver to crash...keep to the banish 'defaults' and mine has been working like a dream.

I would rate KF Web server 9/10 especially if you are newbie like me.(however i haven't tried any others!)

It becomes tricky once you have registered your domain name if you don't have a static IP address....like me, unfortunately I haven't got my head around this yet....perhaps some other people can help you.

Ya, thats a great webserver app, very powerful and easy to use. As to you ip problem, sign up for a dynanic DNS account (I use DYNDNS) have your domain forward to that. That may be the easiest solution. The Dynamic DNS has a small app that runs on your machine, it gets you WAN IP ans sneds it to DYNDNS or whatwver you choose and keeps your IP up-to-date.

I host my own site (www.michaelsoft.gotdns.com) and this is a DYNDNS account, since I have DSL and my IP changes alot I have to use a service likt this.

My friend told me it was possible not to run a server off my home because of ISP. Could you explain to me what is ISP ?

ISP - Internet Service Provider, some have regulations in place saying that you are not permitted to run your own server on their network

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back