Perplexing issue with wifi

zapoqx

Striking Master
Alright, so this is confusing the heck out of me on the reason behind this.
I'm trying to setup in the network one have Wireless N with full Turbo mode so those with N can use the full power and speed if it can be supported and a separate network to use Wireless G with afterburner/turbo for those that support it. The problem?
In one laptop, it is an atheros-based wireless card of a sony vaio. It can handle Wireless N. When I set the wireless N only router to N only, the laptop can't seem to connect. However, if I switch it back to Wireless G/N mix, the laptop will connect just fine under N signal. The laptop has all the updates it can possibly have including the wifi adapter. Is something up here?
This wireless N router setup is using DD-WRT on a FR-300rtr.

The Other router that is set for Wireless G, my laptop that has the afterburner/125 High speed mode doesn't seem to connect using that mode. I checked my laptop and I think its because since my laptop is old (HP 2005cu) and I have Windows 7 installed onto it, the driver itself doesn't seem to have an option for Afterburner/125 High Speed mode. I let Windows find and install a driver since the only driver on HP's site would go to XP for the card and I heard even if I find a Vista version of the driver that Vista driver and Win 7 usually don't like to play well with each other. I would assume I'm correct on this part?
The Router there is a Wireless G router using Tomato RAF on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.

ya, a rebranded Dlink 615e1 if I recall from the DD-WRT. I figured its better to mention the FR-300rtr over a dlink 615e1 since that is what it was before I flashed it back out of that.
And I admit though, I'm intimidated by Openwrt since I first saw it long ago since it seems that unless you get a specific version with a GUI, it is usually all telnet command operations. I'm not that proficient with command interfaces like that and would want to get to the point in a few seconds instead of trying to remember what commands I need to type and files to edit.

Just a thought, is it possible that the Sony laptop is looking for N in the GHz range? Doubtful, just a thought.

What do you mean? I figure it should look for the 2.4GHz fine since I don't think that router has any possibility for a 5GHz range.

No, but does the card in the laptop have 5GHz capabilities? Perhaps it defaults to that?

dlink dir-615 + dd-wrt = crappy wifi :) stick with stock firmware or build yourself a pfsense box.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back