Perfect Disk Defrag? or not?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Hi, I've just finished 'defragmenting' a partition on my pc. However, it still shows the outlined fragmented files on the display.

What's the point in having the 'Defrag Only' option if it doesn't do what it's suppose to do? Very Ghey!!!:mad:

err. bit late for screenshot of before, but it looked very similar to the one below (just taken).

if you don't have anywhere to upload, then do what i do.

first, hit the "print screen" button top right on your keyboard.

then, hit windows key+r

past in

mspaint

then tap into the paint box, hit control+v

then go to file, save as gif

then send that to a zip file

then post an atachment

attachment is not available in quick reply, so hit the reply button

Is it just me, or is the NTFS server playing up? Nothing seems to be working properly today.

nah.. havnt been celebrating anything. lol
let me try sending it again. fingers crossed.

Well that's the screenie after the defrag. Before defrag would have looked very similar with the white lines around those boxes you see at the bottom.

Try diskeeper 8. That seems to do it for me unlike the window's one.

I think I'll have to go back to Diskeeper. It's worked better than all the ones I've tried and tested so far.

Just installed PD6 to see if it's any good... but guess not.

your friggin drive is packed!!!...most of those files you ahrdly ever acess

don't you want ot move those files off the box?

anyway, do the offline defrag that the program recomends.

also, right click on the drive, go to properties, take a look to see if any files are excluded

I would definately move those files to a differant drive...the more room you have to defrag the better, and you ahve nno room at all

if you can't move those files to a differant drive, then compress as much as you can since you don't access them much

and don't forget to thank me for the quick screen shot turorial

*polishes fingernails*

also it doesn't look like you have file optimization enabled...again, right click the drive, properties, make sure "smart pacement" is ticked

That's my backup drive actually. got at least 7-8GB free.

I edited my post...make sure you check to see if smart pacement is ticked

ok, thank you for tutorial (although I did that already, just didn't know how to post it) hehe.

um, btw, my question was what's the point in having 'defrag only' option if it doesn't do what it's suppose to?

aha

on that drive, you don't have enough space do do a proper defrag

I'd like to see the screenshot of the drive after you use diskeeper though.

post that when you're done pleeze

thanx

that was the screenie after the 'defrag' looks the same as before.

oops. sorry, misread your reply..
lemme get DK running.. post it later.

well if you don't have 15% (I think thats the figure) free disk space you aren't going to get a good defrag :(

well, in DK it says that I've got at least 26% of free space in that drive so I don't see a problem there.
Surely no one would buy a HD so that they can make sure they leave 50% of it empty. Besides, this is a backup parition, not an OS (or pagefile) partition so there isn't a real big issue really.

I'm defragging with DK at the moment, and it seems to be going smoothly (as expected) :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back