People with 32 bit os running 8 gig of ram ...

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
I been seeing a lot of reviews at newegg with people having a 32bit os and running 8 gig of ram. What is the sense of that? they can't see past 4 gig, so why bother ?? unless the extra ram as there and they just can't see past a point.

I been seeing a lot of reviews at newegg with people having a 32bit os and running 8 gig of ram. What is the sense of that? they can't see past 4 gig, so why bother ?? unless the extra ram as there and they just can't see past a point.
if it is xp I believe (but am not certain) that the servers could see and use more then 4 gigs, the 4 gig threshold was an application or thread threshold not an os threshold

I believe the 4 gig limit was a licensing issue, since sp1 and some application problems when there was more then 4 gigs microsoft eliminated the ability

am not exactly certain about that info though

if they were using linux I believe the 4 gig limit does not exist except per process

I can see what you are saying, perris. But running vista ultimate 32 with 8 gig of ram was throwing me.

That link you showed, luna, showed some light. I'll have to look into that some more..

PAE was a kludge to allow 48bit addressing in certain situations. You applictions can still only address 2GB per application, and numerous drivers have serious issues when you have >=4GB of RAM.

If you want more than 2GB of RAM you should use a 64bit OS.

Thanx for the info, lord. I was thinking about drivers and such with this also ..

if it is xp I believe (but am not certain) that the servers could see and use more then 4 gigs, the 4 gig threshold was an application or thread threshold not an os threshold

I believe the 4 gig limit was a licensing issue, since sp1 and some application problems when there was more then 4 gigs microsoft eliminated the ability

am not exactly certain about that info though

if they were using linux I believe the 4 gig limit does not exist except per process

The 4 GB limit is definitely an OS threshold. Mainly because the area a program can run in is set up with certain limits, and one of them is that it gets a 32 bit virtual address space (from the OS).

Also, even if PAE is turned on for 32 bit Windows versions, both Windows XP and Windows Vista, you will only be able to use 4 GB of ram. The rest of it WILL not be used. The only use to turn it on is that if previously memory was "overwritten" by devices that are memory mapped (graphics cards for example) this memory can now be used, however certain device drivers will not work correctly.

PAE is a hack. 64 bit is the only way to go if you want to fully utilise the memory you have purchased for your machines.

But wouldn't the programs still be limited by their own thing as before? Unless they are 64bit programs? And do the 64bit drivers have issues with more than 4GB or not? And is this an issue with 64Bit XP?

some 64bit drivers i had had issues with installing on a system when it had 4gb ram in it, but an update resolved that, so i would say its a program/driver limit carried over from 32bit when they try to make 64bit versions.

That is untill the code is updated

This leads to wonder what programs can run on a 64 bit os. Or even some that will benefit from running on a 64 bit system. I am guessing that there can't be that many of them ??

nearly all 32 bit windows apps are capable of running on xp64 and vista 64.

Those that don't check for 64 bit windows and terminate themselves or uses undocumented tricks that were disabled or changed how they worked.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back