people who paid too much.

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
Just found this one guy's thread from HL2Files. instantly after reading his post i couldn't stop laughing. he paid WAY too much for his computer for what he wants to do with it (granted he bought it to play HL2, but he STILL payed way too damn much). Anyway, this is the thread for people who spent WAY too much money for a PC they could have built for themselves for cheaper.

http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137156

P.S. here's one thing the guy posted after someone else commented.
you will see that the Alienware main core specs are the highest you can get in a market. Ok, your a kick ass 1337 gamer who builds his PC. you still won't get specs higher than Alienware's.
heh. can get pretty damn close to their specs, run HL2 as good as a rather cheap computer, and still pay a whole lot less than he did.

I'll probbaly be outdated in 5-6 months when i'll get another one.

we need to find this man and mug him... its one of 3 things.
1. he has rich parents.
2. he is something white collar
3. he has a really fusking big credit card bill. hehe

i vote that he is either 3 or a lawyer.. cocky bastards.

(edit) wow it didnt * out either of those words... i must use them more often. hehe

that is just silly, I think his system is awesome but he is ignorant to the fact that it will provide him with the best performance out there. And nobody in that entire forum knows what they are speaking about. none have even brought up the fact that AMD is much better in gaming. Now I'm not an AMD fanboy cause Intel leads in a different set of performance, I just like AMD cause I game a lot.

It all matters on what you are doing with the system.
Gaming= AMD
Encoding= INtel

though with the recent I think E0 stepping of the intel processors have closed the gap a little and the recent top of the line FX processors from AMD have closed the gap on encoding...

there is no right and wrong in building systems it's all preference but when you think you have what could be top of the line just cause you bought an alienware system you are jsut wrong

It looks nice, but then again so does teh couple thousand he woulda saved by building.

Top performance? Nahh, AMD64 3200+ would kick teh crap outa that Inte 3.4 EE. Asus X800 256Mb would perform better IMHO too.

And teh last point, 60FPS against 200FPS? What is the refresh rate on a thin screen 75 mebey 80?

amd leads in both categories now with their latest processors...

they may be a little slow in some areas of encoding but not much so...

overall there is really no going wrong with an a64 based setup... cheaper/quieter/cooler/uses less electricity/more future-ready...

Sazar said:
amd leads in both categories now with their latest processors...

they may be a little slow in some areas of encoding but not much so...

overall there is really no going wrong with an a64 based setup... cheaper/quieter/cooler/uses less electricity/more future-ready...

I agree completely but being on the net all the time you end up getting overly sensitive to beware the FANBOY!! you know what I mean. So I always add stuff to the hearts of the people out there that are so company biased they need to scream...actually have a really good fanboy story but this is not the place...

Also thank god OSNN has never had the fanboyism that other forums do which I won't name...I mean it is here but not bad at all

im gona be ignorant and ask what fanboy is..... feel free to slap me around after the explination.

a fanboy is someone that if say you like Intel ok and you post all the benefits of Intel in a post someone will just jump in and start yelling about how AMD is the best and you end up not getting any where. The posts turn to AMD sucks and Intel sucks and Nvidia sucks and ATI sucks...it's pretty much the bain of every forum moderator out there. Flaming happens and the peopel who actually want info about things won't get them...Company biased buttheads that won't listen to the other side of the story

I think that rig needs to use water cooling if it wants to be treated seriously, or have any contention with other powerful computers. Custom PC ran a lab on a few expensive computers a while back- now THOSE were gobsmacking :)

Well I think that teh 486 is better!!

HA!!

Tuffgong4 said:
I agree completely but being on the net all the time you end up getting overly sensitive to beware the FANBOY!! you know what I mean. So I always add stuff to the hearts of the people out there that are so company biased they need to scream...actually have a really good fanboy story but this is not the place...

Also thank god OSNN has never had the fanboyism that other forums do which I won't name...I mean it is here but not bad at all

oh believe me we've had our share of fanboi's...

but we generally take their asses out and they are never heard from again :cool:

Sazar said:
oh believe me we've had our share of fanboi's...

but we generally take their asses out and they are never heard from again :cool:
ruthless

but we generally take their asses out and they are never heard from again

"invisions the HL2 sniper rifle laser beam moving around the place"

ROFL.

I went to Alienware's site and here is my ULTIMATE PC:

[1] Area-51® ALX with SLI

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Chassis: Alienware® ALX Full-Tower Case - Space Black
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe
ALX Heavy Duty Power Cable: Alienware® ALX System Power Cable
Thermal Management System: Alienware® ALX Active Liquid Cooling System
Performance-Enhancement: Alienware® ALX Graphics Performance-Enhancement
Motherboard: Alienware® X2 SLI-Ready Motherboard
Processor: Intel® Xeon™ Processor 3.6GHz w/ EM64T 800 MHz FSB w/1MB Cache
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 Registered ECC SDRAM at 400MHz
Graphics Processor: Dual NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 Ultra PCI Express 256MB DDR3 with NVIDIA SLI Technology
Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance Optimizer
Video Cooling: AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling System
System Drive: Extreme Performance - Serial ATA RAID 0 - 148GB (74GB x 2) Western Digital® Raptor™ 10,000 RPM w/16MB Cache
Storage Drive: Extreme Performance - Serial ATA RAID 0 - 73.4GB (36.7GB x 2) Western Digital Raptor™ 10,000 RPM w/16MB Cache
Optical Drive One: NEC® ND-3500 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Recorder
Optical Drive Two: NEC® ND-3500 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Recorder
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround with Dual Firewire (IEEE® 1394)
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
ALX High Performance Network Cable: Alienware® ALX Network Cable
Power Protection: Opti-UPS ES1500C 1400VA (980W Capacity)
Display One: NEC 30" LCD 3000 Black
DLP Projectors: Mitsubishi XD50U XGA DLP™ Projector
Speakers: Creative GigaWorks™ THX® S750 - 7.1 700-Watt Speakers
ALX Wireless Keyboard and Mouse: Alienware® ALX Wireless Optical Desktop Elite by Microsoft®
ALX Biometrics: Targus DEFCON Authenticator™
Headphones: Ultrasone Edition 7 Headphones with S-Logic™
ALX Out Of Box Experience: Exclusive Alienware® ALX Items
Alienware Exclusive Offers: Gamespot Complete - Free 90-day Trial (a $20.85 value)
Alienware Exclusive Offers: 10% off your next EB Games online purchase
Hot Titles: City of Heroes
Hot Titles: DOOM 3™
Hot Titles: Half Life 2
Hot Titles: Star Wars Battlefront
Productivity Software: Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional Edition
Professional Creativity Solutions: Adobe® Photoshop CS
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Free Alienware® ALX T-Shirt - Black
Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® ALX Mousepad (a $19.99 Value!)
Desktop Enhancements: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager
AlienInspection: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!
Automated Support: AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System

All yours for a low low fee of $17,793.00 or As low as $534 per month!

ROFL!!!!

Onimkron, it IS water cooled. don't think air cooled would be very efficient on the P4EE either. probably also not very overclockable. either that, or who would want to OC a CPU that easily costs close to a grand or more USD. if he wanted intel, he coulda got a normal P4 maybe 3.8, and oc'ed it to probably like 4.4 or somewhere around there.

Fimchick, i'm surprised HE didn't go SLI. i mean he said he wanted to build the best PC. lol. such a computer n00b. he don't desirve that alienware. he should ship it to me. could put it to better use.

Now don't get me wrong, Alienware puts out some nice gear, but I think they are really dirrected at the people who (unlike most of us) want a top end high performace PC yet have no clue how build it themselfs. Anyone here could probley build a system that is just as good (probley better) for at least 1/2 the price tag.

The only area I would even consider paying the way over-priced pricetag of an Alienware would be in the laptop deptment.

You know, this is actually quite relevent to the topic of people paying too much AND fanboys. I just posted something a couple of minutes ago here in this thread on Neowin - it's about the Apple displays and the Dell 2005FPW (we had a thread about it here too, but it was a lot more civil).

People are willing to pay $500+ for an aluminium casing and white cables. :p Go check out some of the responses - you'll find them quite appalling. ;)

Good point, I wanna have my old Gateway VX700 sprayed black or something, no sense in paying alot for a new one just so I will match teh rest of my PC that I don't see while it is in a desk.

But if people want to burn money so bad........

NetRyder said:
You know, this is actually quite relevent to the topic of people paying too much AND fanboys. I just posted something a couple of minutes ago here in this thread on Neowin - it's about the Apple displays and the Dell 2005FPW (we had a thread about it here too, but it was a lot more civil).

People are willing to pay $500+ for an aluminium casing and white cables. :p Go check out some of the responses - you'll find them quite appalling. ;)

No man, it is not about the white cables and the aluminium casing, it has everything to do with the packaging.

The way the iPod is packaged is perfect, it is a design, the way the iBook is packaged is perfect awesome, it is not clumsy, can't cause you to accidently drop the damn thing while getting the foam off it.

[fanboi=apple]And it is an apple, i mean common, who would not want an Apple display, just so they can proclaim they have an Apple display.[/fanboi]

But in all seriousness, Astheatics matters for me. That dell screen you mentioned will not make it to my desk. My dad has one at work,and will soon be able to bring one home as he works from home as well, and they are ugly. I could have bought two dells from the money i used to buy my iBook, but i care about how it looks. The iBook is not clunky, and not huge, it is iCandy. You can say what you want, but to some people aestethics is worth a lot of money. To me knowing that it is quality also helps. My friend has had an TitaniumBook, or TiBook from Apple, and that thing has taken a beating over the years, and still works without a hitch. Can't say that about my dads Dell that has recently been replaced with a Compaq. Cause the Dell gave up. (Work Laptop).

So yeah, i agree, they both do the same thing, both can display the same pictures. But in the way they look, Dell just loses.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back