Pentium Problems

M

ModestCargo

I have an old Pentium at home that I am fixing up (I really have nothing better to do) and I have been having some problems. First of all, I have two PCI video cards and about six old ISA video cards, not counting the ones with the older style ports (you know what I mean, they have way less pins). The old ISA cards date from 1986-1993, and the two PCI cards are dated 1996 and 1997.

The computer (I'm guessing here) won't recognize either of the PCI cards and none of the newer (1990 and beyond) ISA cards. I'm not sure if it's the video card, but when I turn the computer on I don't see anything at all. The screen is totally blank. I know the monitor works because I use it for a 486 in my basement (It's SVGA). I have never used any of the video cards, so I don't know if any of them work.

Then there's the memory issue. I have like 17 SDRAM memory sticks lying around that will fit in the memory slots. I think I have two 8MB double-sided strips, two 16MB single-sided strips and one 32MB double-sided strip. Each of the different sizes is a different brand of memory. The other strips are either unlabeled or probably 1MB strips. I'm not sure if you can mix brands, or even sizes on a P1. Someone told me that they have to be installed in pairs also. Could someone please confirm this?

Will the computer display anything on the monitor if there is no memory installed?

Could something else be causing it to fail? Like possibly the motherboard? Or maybe the CPU? Will it display anything if there is no motherboard or CPU? Any other ideas?

Thanks guys. I hope all that writing will pay off.

By the way, when the guy I got the computer from gave it to me, he said that all it needed was a video card and some memory. He was quite sure that it was in good working order otherwise.

you need (working) video card, ram, and cpu installed for a computer to post.

If it's an old P1 then it's most probably not SDRAM sticks you have, it's DRAM or EDO DRAM (both 72 pin). These must be installed in equal pairs, this is true.

Ah, yes, I was tired when I wrote that. It is DRAM. I'm sure it's the video card, since there was no reason for the guy who gave me the computer to lie about it. I mean, I got it free, and I get crap all the time, so I would have taken it if it had no hard drive and the CPU was fried.

I think my memory works... I wish there was a way to easily track down the problem. I can get a video card or more memory for it, but it won't help me if the mobo was the problem all along.

Oh! I should just take the card from the '486 and stick it in the P1. I know that card works. Forgive me if I sound like an idiot for not thinking of that before, it's just that whenever I get a chance to post it's 2:30 in the morning and I'm only 14 years old. My body can't handle simple brain functions that late!

a mate of mine gave me an old gateway machine ages ago - p1 150mhz - that had DRAM... but the mobo was dead cuz the psu had blown when he had it. the graphics card was useful though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back