Pentium Dual 805 2.66 GHz clocked over 4GHz...

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
No way am I especially tempted to get into overclocking and messing about with things myself, but I know many are...

so when I came across this article I thought I'd share it because it does look like the sort of thing that could (almost) justify the practice to me....

Although pushing the clockspeed upwards sounds good for performance, I'd prefer it if the manufacturers just produce a cpu with a low clockspeed and low power consumption that does almost the same amount of work as one with a high clockspeed..... the likes of Pentium M

ming said:
Although pushing the clockspeed upwards sounds good for performance, I'd prefer it if the manufacturers just produce a cpu with a low clockspeed and low power consumption that does almost the same amount of work as one with a high clockspeed..... the likes of Pentium M

This won't happen because most of the buying public associates the clock speed with the amount of work that it can do.

The thing is an Athloon 64 3500+ on Winchester core already provides the same processing throughput that you get with a pentium overclocked to 4Ghz. I belive it was either HardOCP or THG have the article where that was discovered though I could be wrong.

Yes, it is proven that an AMD64 3500+ is the equivelance of a 4hz Pentium 4 Prescott. BUT, that is not a Dual core Pentium. Anyway, that 4ghz intel will be surpassed by the Conroe, Which will be surpassed by something else.

It's a steal of a deal if you want high end power, for low end cash. That's why I like overclocking so much.

i also saw that article and am very tempted. but i don't want to get into watercooling though, which is what you'd need at the 4ghz mark.

Even if you get to the 3.6ghz range, you've still got a powerful processor for $130

Or wait for Conroe processors to come down. Either way, it's a never ending battle.

lol, or wait until the quad core AM2 chips come out in 2008.

Quad core Intel chips will be out before AMD delivers in 2008.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back