Pentium D 805 VS. AMD Athlon 64 X2

Here's what I've seen. The D805 overclocked to 3.9ghz (easily) will beat an X2 3800 stock. Although, the X2 3800 overclocked to 2.5ghz (not as easy) will beat a D805 overclocked.

BUT, I would say that if there is intention to go to C2D, I would go with the D805 to reduce expenses in the future.

Perhaps when you oc the hell out of it, v/s a stock 3800+, you'll notice same or better performance.

However, check this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2736&p=1

Note the power usage at the end. Now, extrapolate the increase in power consumption as you overclock 1ghz and think about thermals and lifespan of the product.

Last edited:
Lee: if i remember correctly, they said that their next socket (think it's gonna be called AM3) will support AM2, as well as DDR2 and DDR3. could have changed though.... so i dunno.

Last I heard the AM3 will work in selected "new model" AM2 MBs. It won't be a drop in replacement for existing systems. There were also issues with working with DDR2 and DDR3. I forget the details. We won't know for sure until they are on the street.

The Intel 775 upgrade path to core 2 and quad core is for real now.

i got a system with the amd x2 4200, i love this setup runs smooth, whats the average temp for a cpu like that??

1 meelyon degrees.

:cool:

I dunno, stock cooler should idle around 40C I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back