Pentium D 805 VS. AMD Athlon 64 X2

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Which is better. Im looking at two computer one is a Pentium D 805 it says each core operates at 2.66 GHz. The AMD is a X2 4200+ which operates at 2.2 GHz.

Now which chip is better. I dont play much games, just the C&C line. I have a graphics card so im ok on that. Also does each core in the AMD run at 2.2?

yea i think i like the AMD. i haven't had an AMD since back in the day...

the AMD is better than the Pentium D.

I would recommend Core2 duo if you are able though.

Yea, but im kinda on a budget, so ill stick with the amd. Its a nice setup!

C2D is not that much more than an X2 proc, especially on the price/performance comparo.

Have you looked at the C2D E4300 or E4400?

The E4300 and E4400 price difference isn't THAT great. Between the 805 and an X2. If you were to overclock the 805, it would kill the X2 series processors. Leaving at stock, I'd go with the X2.

The E4300 and E4400 price difference isn't THAT great. Between the 805 and an X2. If you were to overclock the 805, it would kill the X2 series processors. Leaving at stock, I'd go with the X2.

?

None of the benchmarks I have seen ever show this happening except maybe in a couple of tests.

what about the x2 vs. the fx series, like the fx55 or the fx59?

I've seen where an 805 overclocked will beat an X2. They have been pumped up past 3.6ghz easily.

what about the x2 vs. the fx series, like the fx55 or the fx59?

Dual core > Single core.

Sheps, I am sure you have seen some of the benches where in some apps it is a little faster.

But, the X2 procs rape the D8xx series from Intel (and the D9xx series even more so) in any standard comparo for usage and processing power.

You have to look at the Core2 procs to see Intel take a dominant position.

In this case the X2 4600 is by far a better choice ... now as stated if you go with the c2d thats another ball park ... but again here your best choice was the X2 4600 .

Saying this is gonna hurt, but...

Assuming the D 805 system costs about the same as the X2 - Build the Pentium D system making sure the MB supports the Core 2 Duo CPUs and possibly quad core.

The X2 is probably a better choice for now, but you will be able to drop a Core 2 Duo chip in when the money becomes available and/or prices drop.

There is not a similar path with the X2. AMD is already announcing their next socket type and they have not supported "last years" socket very well. Intel has been much better about maintaining a more stable CPU upward migration path.

Lee: if i remember correctly, they said that their next socket (think it's gonna be called AM3) will support AM2, as well as DDR2 and DDR3. could have changed though.... so i dunno.

The AM3 processors will work in AM2 socket motherboards but will only be able to use DDR2 memory [limitation of AM2]. AM2 processors will not work in AM3 boards though.

X2 > Pentium D
Core2Duo > X2

depending on the money you are going to spend...there is a major hurdle when it comes to intel processors though. Motherboards for intel processors tend to be more expensive than AMD based. This is not always the case but usually.

EDIT...Ghz doesn't really matter much unless you are comparing same architecture processors, the pentD speed compared to the X2 speed means nothing...as does the core2duo vs pentD or core2duo vs the X2...speed only matters really in say core2duo vs core2duo but then you have to look at cache and then it gets more complicated...but really Ghz means little.

How much are you willing to spend?

That is the real question, if you are looking for a $1K or less system AMD has excellent offerings, for for cheaper you need to go with a branded system that you find cheap. But don't expect the world out of it.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dotw_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

SO the next question is what are you going to be doing with it, games, or surfing.

And for the record I usually dislike prebuilt systems. But they do offer decent basic performers for cheap.

Here's what I've seen. The D805 overclocked to 3.9ghz (easily) will beat an X2 3800 stock. Although, the X2 3800 overclocked to 2.5ghz (not as easy) will beat a D805 overclocked.

BUT, I would say that if there is intention to go to C2D, I would go with the D805 to reduce expenses in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back