UT 2k3 botmatch 73.1 fps *73.4 fps
Comanche *59.7 fps 55.5 fps
photoshop 7 33 sec *32 sec
premiere ex to mpeg2 361 sec *287 sec
sysmark overall *286 248
sys-creation *407 318
sys-office product *201 193
encode wav to mp3 *146 172

the question is: which processor would you rather own?

<answer>Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz</answer>
<answer>AMD Athlon XP 3000+</answer>
<answer>Either</answer>

*indicates winner in category

These tests were run by maximum PC with an ATI radeon 9700 pro.

Originally posted by black-syth
The Stats...

P4(PC1066 ram) Athlon(ddr333 ram)

Clock Speed 3.06 Ghz 2.167 Ghz
FSB 533Mhz 333Mhz
SIS Sandra MIPS *9162 8190
sis Mflops *5589 3311
sis RAM INT *3200 2504
sis fam float *3281 2404
3d mark 2001 SE 15470 *15520
QIII *356 fps 320 fps
UT 2k3 fly by 219 fps *227 fps
UT 2k3 botmatch 73.1 fps *73.4 fps
Comanche *59.7 fps 55.5 fps
photoshop 7 33 sec *32 sec
premiere ex to mpeg2 361 sec *287 sec
sysmark overall *286 248
sys-creation *407 318
sys-office product *201 193
encode wav to mp3 *146 172

the question is: which processor would you rather own?

<answer>Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz</answer>
<answer>AMD Athlon XP 3000+</answer>
<answer>Either</answer>

*indicates winner in category

These tests were run by maximum PC with an ATI radeon 9700 pro.

if only they had run the tests with the same memory :)

or perhaps used faster memory for the athlon system... :)

you are running the fastest rdram 1066 setup v/s a ddr2700 on the athlon... there is a large speed difference... :)

but I would probably go with the athlon... because most of the work I do is office related and I have yet to see an intel system duplicate its results in benchmarks in realworld office level programs... which is why we are runnig 2400+ machines in our offices instead of 2.8ghz machines... besides the cost factor :)

Athlon ALL THE WAY

Of course athlon. first of all its cheaper as i would remmber, also ive seen how pentuim 4's and 3's perform and after a while it drops dramatically, which i havent yet to experience with an athlon only time will tell. and i just feel more joy from a 1.8gz processor that can rape a 2.53 intel!:D i saw a extreme test in a magizine in school where they compared some built systems and Sazar is Right. The same processor i have was put up to a 2.53 intel with the same ram and same ram speed it killed it without any o/c or tweaks or antghin and it was about the same performance level as a 2.6 intel or 2.7 which ever one exsists dont remmber. and now that i have swichted to amd (hahahaha amd should make a i swtiched like the mac one) i now feel that intel is fake. anyone that tells me they have a pentuim 4 i want them to get jelous! hehe. and here in saudi thats alot. people just spend the money on p4 i mean i could do that easily too, but when i found performance and price saving hey thats a combination! i bet that there is only like less than 20 if not less than 10 amd athlon xp systems in the eastern region of saudi arabia (thats where i am) now anyone that i help on computers i reccomend amd!:happy:

forgot to say that the specs werre all the same except the motherboard and type of processor the rest were the same gfx card the amd system i think was identical to mine as in major things not as in cdrw and dvd but like geforce 4 4600ti and win xp pro. hope this helps.

Re: Athlon ALL THE WAY

Originally posted by themafia_69
Of course athlon. first of all its cheaper...
the p4 3.06ghz and xp 3000+ are the same price.

personally, i wouldn't pick either one of those. i'd go for a 2700+ for half the price of the 3000+.

Well i'd go AMD in every situation because Intel are misleading n00b's that own the mindless masses with their endless propaganda

themafia_69 i have a 2200+ aswell but i don't think i could own someone in a benchmark against a 2.53Ghz even with the same hardware. AMD called it a 2200+ cause its roughly equivilant to a 2.2Ghz (though it probably is a bit faster alright) but then again maybe AMD are just very modest :)

I would get the P4 3.06 with dual channel DDR. But that's just me. :)

taurus has a good point as well. :)

Originally posted by Tilmitt
Well i'd go AMD in every situation because Intel are misleading n00b's that own the mindless masses with their endless propaganda

themafia_69 i have a 2200+ aswell but i don't think i could own someone in a benchmark against a 2.53Ghz even with the same hardware. AMD called it a 2200+ cause its roughly equivilant to a 2.2Ghz (though it probably is a bit faster alright) but then again maybe AMD are just very modest :)

actually ure wrong cuz they did benchmarks for all the sysmtems up to p4 2.6 or 2.7 and the amd 2200+ came short only by a few points and raped all the other p4 systems. ill try and get the magazine and scan it i would have to look threw many but ill try i have study hall tommow so ill see:cool:

To be honest, i have supported AMD since i had their 1Ghz athlon, which was a long time ago. I had waited, and waited, and clawhammer was pushed, and pushed further into the future. So i got a 2.66 P4.... couldnt be happier, as for the barton core... well see how that works out.

Originally posted by themafia_69
actually ure wrong cuz they did benchmarks for all the sysmtems up to p4 2.6 or 2.7 and the amd 2200+ came short only by a few points and raped all the other p4 systems. ill try and get the magazine and scan it i would have to look threw many but ill try i have study hall tommow so ill see:cool:

I'm eagerly awaiting some linkage for those benchmarks, because I think you are a little misinformed :)

Originally posted by Tilmitt

Any examples?

They call it a 2200+ as it is equivalent to a 2.2ghz Athlon Thunderbird.

Have got this straight yet people???

RATINGS ARE BASED ON A EQUIVALENTLY CLOCKED ATHLON THUNDERBIRD!!! NOT BASED ON INTEL PENTIUM 4's!!!

Again... all these benchmarks are organ comparison tools that mean jack squat in real life!! get over these damned benchmarks. Who uses Word that hardcore that it uses 100% of your CPU???

A freakin Athlon 700mhz would barely be scractched from Office. Its RAM thats the key here.

Originally posted by mbunny
Again... all these benchmarks are organ comparison tools that mean jack squat in real life!! get over these damned benchmarks. Who uses Word that hardcore that it uses 100% of your CPU???

Couldn't have been said any better than that! :D

They call it a 2200+ as it is equivalent to a 2.2ghz Athlon Thunderbird.

Have got this straight yet people???

RATINGS ARE BASED ON A EQUIVALENTLY CLOCKED ATHLON THUNDERBIRD!!! NOT BASED ON INTEL PENTIUM 4's!!!

A freakin Athlon 700mhz would barely be scractched from Office. Its RAM thats the key here.

How would we know which processor is better unless we benchmarked them? There are a lot of people who do video editing type work where the slight difference in the speed of a processor can make a world of difference in productivity and benchmarks can help them make their purchasing decision. I agree that a lot of these benchmarks are synthetic such as Sandra and don't mean too much in real life, but their are real world benchmarking tools as well. I think that anything over 1ghz is good enough for most computing.

I don't think RAM is the key, once you have enough RAM, it will always be the hard drive that will be the bottle neck for the system, serial ATA development is going to be very important.

so why do you have a 2100+ and a 9700pro?!? you do office in 3d?? :rolleyes:

my point is i don't think any of us on this whole damn thread are concerned over how long it takes us to open a word file. WE PLAY GAMES

Originally posted by taurus
so why do you have a 2100+ and a 9700pro?!? you do office in 3d?? :rolleyes:

my point is i don't think any of us on this whole damn thread are concerned over how long it takes us to open a word file. WE PLAY GAMES

it matters to me when I am @ work :)

my home computer is not an example of how our office computers are setup... we setup amd's for a reason... in office apps they perform much better clock for clock and dollar for dollar...

not to say the 3.06 HT enabled p4 is NOT a good cpu... it is in fact a very good cpu... but for the stuff we do.. a slightly cheaper amd processor does better...

Re: Re: Pentium 4 3.06 -vs- AMD Athlon XP 3000+

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
These tests fail to represent one thing - having multiple cpu intensive programs open at a time. The P4 3.06GHz enables hyperthreading which allows certain threads to execute sumultaneously. It's not quite like having two processsors, but it should result in a more responsive system.
Here's a video that might be worth watching:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021114/p4_306ht-22.html

Consdering that the P4 has hyperthreading, I'd choose the P4.

P.S. To understand the benefits and pitfalls of hyperthreading you need to understand 1st what threads are, how applications and Operating Systems use them, how this affects multiprocessor systems, and how the P4 implements some of this using it's so called "hyperthreading." That's not to say I understand it all myself. :) I haven't given extensive time to research it.

ht has to have code written to use it to work well...

amd's new hypertransport seems more promising smply because it eliminates many current bottlenecks...

Re: Re: Re: Pentium 4 3.06 -vs- AMD Athlon XP 3000+

Originally posted by Sazar
ht has to have code written to use it to work well...
For single programs yes, but the same thing could be said for dual processors. By nature, windows xp is a multithreaded application. HT can take advantage of this well, ie having the core system processes working in one of the logical proccessors, and other apps working in the other. How often do you multitask?

Originally posted by Sazar
amd's new hypertransport seems more promising smply because it eliminates many current bottlenecks...
I agree, hypertransport looks like a nice technology. The HDD bottleneck is still there, but hopefully serialATA will develop more.

what about the g5 (apple/mac) that has a type of HT and acts like 4 cpu's? what about that one??? intel is just stealing ideas from mac :D

Apple is also a strong proponent of the idea that clock speeds don't matter (somewhat like AMD) ... the "Megahertz Myth" is what Apple calls it. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back