Pentium 4 1.5ghz Overclocking

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
I overclocked my cpu recently & just want to make sure I got it right......never done it before. My board is a MSI 8545 Pro5.

I booted to the bios & changed the RDRAM bus frequency from 400 to 300mhz. Also changed the CPU clock from 100 to 135.

That changed my 1.5 to a 2.0mhz. The system bus is running at 540mhz.

The ram frequency has increased from 300 to 405mhz. (Running RD ram pc800 256mb)

Temperature is not an issue. It has hardly moved.

Can anyone see any problems with what I have done? Dare I go any further?

I dare not go any further. :(

Just after posting the above the computer rebooted itself so I changed it down from 135 to 130.

It is now running at 1.95mhz. System bus is 520mhz. The ram has dropped to 390mhz.

Just had another sudden reboot. Dropped it back to 125.

Now running at 1.87ghz. System bus 500mhz. Ram 375mhz.

Maybe heat is an issue. Bit hard to tell as when I get back running again it has cooled down......me thinks.

how long did it stay up before it rebooted?

From the start it lasted about half an hour....dropped it back. That lasted about an hour......dropped it back. That lasted five minutes. :eek:

Seems to be back to normal with default settings.

bios again. i think you should re-think your 'it doesnt need more cooling' idea, because it does.

So is it the cpu vcore I need to adjust? If so which one?

+25mV, +50mV, +75mV, +100mV.

It is set as default at the moment but what is the default?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll be keeping a close on the heat.

ack. the voltage should be low. for example its under 1.5V for my P4 2.6 running at an amazing 2.61 :)
i could crank that higher if i wanted....but i wont.

DONT crank the voltage up high. itll get real hot real fast. start off with teh regular voltage, then go up little by little, like .01 or .02 volts each time. you dont need a lot.
if you are cranking your processor speed up by 500MHz, your voltage will only go up a MAX of about .1 volts

BTW, and this is important, if you are going to mess with teh voltage, i would definetly recommend a nice increase in cooling. Unless, you are just practicing on this processor and you got an extra one lying around.

also, you could mess with your ram settings. im not really that familiar with RDRAM, so i really cant help you on that.

Now I've changed the vCore from 1.68 to 1.80. The ram frenquecy from 400 to 300. Overclocking has brought that up to 405. The cpu is running at 2025mhz & the temperature is steady at 38C.

It's been up & running for nearly an hour now so..........fingers crossed. :D

sounds real good :cool:

/me gets ready to do it on his P4 :p

I never like OCing, seems like little reward for high risk ;)

But, if you must, you are doing it backwards, start low, up the bus a little, see how it runs, if its ok, go up some more, etc., once it becomes unstable, increase the voltage. Watch your temps through the whole process. If you start getting ~ 55°C under load I would back off.

I had my P4 2.53 running at 3.04 (19*160) and 1.71V at ~45°C, but to tell you the truth, I never noticed any increase in speed, and that is why she is back to 2.53.

I know someone very ambitious (kinda like some of you here) who literally melted his CPU ! (it sunk inwards). Think carefully before doing this. You've got to ask yourself whether the performance differential between overclocking with voltage and overclocking without voltage is even noticeable for a very large risk. One false move and it could be a couple of hundred bucks hardware down the drain :D

Originally posted by coathanger007
I know someone very ambitious (kinda like some of you here) who literally melted his CPU ! (it sunk inwards). Think carefully before doing this. You've got to ask yourself whether the performance differential between overclocking with voltage and overclocking without voltage is even noticeable for a very large risk. One false move and it could be a couple of hundred bucks hardware down the drain :D

if you take your time and don't get too excited about what you are doing double check all settings overclocking is not all that dangerous. the worst that has ever happened to me is I have had to clear my CMOS. no hardware ever died. Currently running an XP2500+ @ 200X11 with default voltage @ 36C, can hit 220x11 with 1.75v. @ 40C but don't have the need for the extra speed right now.

jeez, my voltage only went up about .1 volts and i got an extra 500MHz out of it. maybe im just special.

i don't know much about overclocking an Intel maybe that has something to do with it. I don't have the options to change in that small of intervals my options are something like this:

and so on.

and my PSU is crap and limiting my overclocks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back