Peer to Peer sharing

Gypzywingz

OSNN Junior Addict
Ok I finally got my satellite internet working now I need to find out how I can allow access to a file on my computer from outside. My new job consists of the office in my house and me running QuickBooks however the owner will also need to have access to the same files as she will be doing the accounts payable but she will be doing this from her house. We thought about setting up a VPN but right now they don't have the money unless I can set it up with the Dlink Router that I have which does support VPN's. But I need to grant her access to use the file on my machine.

What do you think the best way to do this is? Should I use the basic software that come with XP Professional or should we buy a program to do this?

If it's financial software and obviously financial files, security should be a main focus. I would strongly recommend a VPN, as it is the most secure and cost effective solution available. There isn't a lot of cost involved, I know for instance, the WRT54G from Linksys (around $70 USD, can be found cheaper probably) supports VPN connections :)

I wouldn't recommend an ftp server as that would allow downloading to get a file and then uploading when done which could overwrite files which could be risky. With a VPN you can map a network drive and depending on licensing of financial software you can have simultaneous access to the files and work on the fly.

I have a DLink 524 "G" router that supports VPN. I talked with a guy I work with about setting up a VPN before but I think I would be totally lost in setting one up on my own. I talked to a QuickBooks rep and if we share the program then we would only need to buy one copy but for right now we would have to buy 2 copies since we aren't network and email the data back and forth when we are done working on it which isn't to bad but that is another $199 for another copy then. So do you think I could set up a VPN with what I have now?

The setup I have now is satellite internet (VPN's dont work great but we won't be on the computer at the same time) with a modem and the Dlink wireless router. I set it up so that my laptop could share the connection with my desktop but I could even figure out how to share files with the desktop, but if I sat down and really tried I am sure I could.

I agree with the ISP point but with only one person accessing it I don't think it would be that bad but I guess I have my problem solved for now. The owner is going to have me doing the accounts payable too and printing the checks but she is going to have to sign them so for now I don't have to worry about it. But I know one day things will change. I did email dlink to see if they had instructions on how to set up a VPN with the router because they only have it using Nortel conectivity software which I don't know what that is.

Thanks!

In regards to ISP though, it's either blocked by default or allowed. The number of connections isn't the issue, it's the type of traffic. Typically this is a business-type protocol, which they tend to block so they can you have you change your package and get more cash out of you :D

Ahhhh haaaa yeah some businesses are all about nick and diming you to death!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back