PCTel AMR Modem not detected

M

morpheus2k

Hi Folks,
I first installed XP Pro as an upgrade to SE, with the modem already installed and working - after the upgrade it worked fine. Then a few days ago, my main machine'e MB fried, so I had to change over to my secondary machine. Decided to "fix" some problems the OS was having by doing a clean install.

Now, from a clean install, XP doesn't see the modem. The modem likes to be on COM3, which I have tried adding in manually, with no luck. I have another Com3 modem (win-modem) that is detected just fine, but you know the problems with win-modems - I'd much rather use the AMR modem.

I did once get it installed, but it "had a problem", according to XP and didn't function.

Any idea's?

Thanks!

Actually, I have been fairly impressed with the AMR modems - unlike win-modems, my system doesn't hiccup when it comes online.

Money is an issue - if it wasn't, I'd just replace my main systems MB and use my ISA modem (a beloved dying breed) - not waste money on an external :rolleys:, but this other board doesn't have ISA slots, so stuck with the AMR or Win-Modem. And of the two, I'd prefer the AMR...

Still wanting help :)

I have that same damn modem...

and I could never get it to work under XP.

I even found the (??correct??xp??modemspecific??) drivers on the
pctel site, but try as I might, I could never get XP to acknowledge the damn things. I was not even able to override anything. I could see the drivers but they would not install.

I gave up and bought a cheapo pos modem (backup).
So far my home LAN (with linksys router) has been working great.

If you figure out a way to get the damn drivers installed I would sure like to hear about it
:confused:

As I said in the beginning post, it DID work in XP, but only because I had originally installed SE, and then just did an upgrade. The modem rocked - real clear as an answering machine and no system hiccups as it connects and disconnects.

Will keep you posted if I learn anything.

M2K

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back