PCs are BORING NOW !!!

I have never heard of a publicly available CD burner that took 10 hours. A 1x CD burner would have taken 74 minutes and these were the first publicly available burners. I remember buying a 2x for over $400 and CDs that were almost $20 a piece. I'm sorry Krux, but I am gonna have to call you out on your last post.

Nice comeback Krux. :) How 'bout we end it there. What I'm trying to say in this thread is that technology isn't moving nearly as fast as in the good old days. Technology was moving at a blistering speed updating every 6 mths or so. For a couple of years now people have remained satisfied with whatever they have been using. I'm referring to non-geeks not myself (hence my nice system specs). Now no one seems to want the latest Pentium 4 chip or the biggest Hard disk or the latest OS. I know many people who have 'upgraded' by using the second hand market to purchase cheap 1Ghz models that gets the job done running Win 98 and Office 97/2000. Personally, I keep in touch with I.T news being a geek of sorts. But no one else around me seems to take any interest relative to previous years. I even know of many in the I.T profession who have changed lines altogether and haven't even considered picking up the latest language etc - job market looks glum. Why did I put up this post? I simply wanted to see if you guys were in agreement over in the US of A and Asia as compared to Aussie. Instead you avoided the question by telling me about the latest technology on the horizon. But as I've said before, the growing non-geek population couldn't give a stuff being satisfied with what they already have.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I have never heard of a publicly available CD burner that took 10 hours. A 1x CD burner would have taken 74 minutes and these were the first publicly available burners. I remember buying a 2x for over $400 and CDs that were almost $20 a piece. I'm sorry Krux, but I am gonna have to call you out on your last post.

1x write/reads at 150kb/s whats 700 / 150? 4.6 whats 4.6 x 2 (read/write) 9.2 hours to read and write a cd I was not wrong.

You ARE wrong. A 1x CD reads a 74 minute CD in 74 minutes and an 80 minute CDs in 80 minutes. It burns at that same speed. Perfect example. CD players are 1x. They do not need to be any faster because the music is read at 1x. That is the whole basis of the 1x, 2x, 4x, 16x, etc rating method!

coathanger: I think you are refering to the fact that PCs have far surpassed software requirements. You can purchase a 1Ghz PC and it will do just about anything, why purchase something faster, right? I understand this if that's what you mean. The only thing that really pushes the chips is gaming and heavy graphics, and even then having a killer video card on a 1Ghz machine will probably get the job done.

Originally posted by coathanger007
Nice comeback Krux. :) How 'bout we end it there. What I'm trying to say in this thread is that technology isn't moving nearly as fast as in the good old days. Technology was moving at a blistering speed updating every 6 mths or so. For a couple of years now people have remained satisfied with whatever they have been using. I'm referring to non-geeks not myself (hence my nice system specs). Now no one seems to want the latest Pentium 4 chip or the biggest Hard disk or the latest OS. I know many people who have 'upgraded' by using the second hand market to purchase cheap 1Ghz models that gets the job done running Win 98 and Office 97/2000. Personally, I keep in touch with I.T news being a geek of sorts. But no one else around me seems to take any interest relative to previous years. I even know of many in the I.T profession who have changed lines altogether and haven't even considered picking up the latest language etc - job market looks glum. Why did I put up this post? I simply wanted to see if you guys were in agreement over in the US of A and Asia as compared to Aussie. Instead you avoided the question by telling me about the latest technology on the horizon. But as I've said before, the growing non-geek population couldn't give a stuff being satisfied with what they already have.

theres lots of new things coming out all the time here we just got a 52inch plasma HDTV (wall mount type) and all kinds of other little gadgits and doodads. what about that monitor that was just annouched that projects an image that u can walk through? I think the reason you might think the I.T world is "dying" is because I think tech is such a big part of our life now that it just seem that big or that great of a break through as it did 5 years ago because we are used to it. now if some one made a way back machine [time machine (patent pending)] it would be a big deal. So we will just have to wait tell companys can no longer make something better, and they have to develop something new to ewww and ahhh the consumer.

You ARE wrong. A 1x CD reads a 74 minute CD in 74 minutes and an 80 minute CDs in 80 minutes. It burns at that same speed. Perfect example. CD players are 1x. They do not need to be any faster because the music is read at 1x. That is the whole basis of the 1x, 2x, 4x, 16x, etc rating method!

whatever I was 11 years old it felt like 10 hours ok?!

coathanger: I think you are refering to the fact that PCs have far surpassed software requirements. You can purchase a 1Ghz PC and it will do just about anything, why purchase something faster, right? I understand this if that's what you mean. The only thing that really pushes the chips is gaming and heavy graphics, and even then having a killer video card on a 1Ghz machine will probably get the job done.

That's exactly right...glad we've finally come to an understanding. :)

Originally posted by coathanger007

I won't avoid the question...

What is it that your average user uses a PC for?
(In no particular order)
1) word processing
2) email/instant messaging
3) browsing the internet
What are sufficient requirements to do so? PentiumII @ 300MHz and 64MB or RAM? 16MB graphics card? 10GB of hard disk space?

Does the average user need the newest PC to hit the market? Absolutely not. If an average user buys the newest PC on the market, it is because (a) he or she believes that it offers something more that they need, or (b) he or she just wants a new computer and that one looks nice. Choice (a) is where the marketing comes in to play. PC manufacturers now have to convince the average user that they need the newest technology. "Digital photos and video, space for all the music in the world," etc. We have now passed the point where the average user doesn't have to complain that his or her PC is too slow or that their hard drive is full... because chances are that his or her PC does just fine as it is.

Look at what Microsoft is doing/has been doing. For one, talking about Longhorn and how much everyone is going to need it... at least two years before it is available. So by the time Longhorn is on the shelves, everyone in the world thinks that they need to upgrade (that's what Microsoft hopes at least).

coathanger007, I understand your argument, but it is not completely sound. Technology, in a sense, is in a war against itself. Is it becoming too good now, or will it do something so different and incredible that nobody will believe it? We'll just have to see.

Well thought out muzikool :). Which brings me back to my 5 year cyber hibernation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back