PCLinuxOS to access Windows shared files

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone here knows how to get PClinuxOS to access Windows shared folders. I need read/write access.

I really like this distro, because it has everything I like, but it simply doesn't what to access the shared folders from my Windows machine.

I am at te point that I am trying to create a mount point with Samba, My Windows machine is listed on the "Available servers" list, I can input a user/pass/workgroup name into the authentication, but it doesn't do anything after that.

I tried posting this question on their forums, but with little support from them.

Thanks,

Heeter

ntfs-3g would be your best option, although samba should work

ntfs-3g would be your best option, although samba should work

No.

This is a samba related question, and he is trying to mount across the network. ntfs-3 won't do any good here.

thought ntfs-3g was a replacement for the driver that ships with most kernels, allowing direct access to the drive, and i had samba in there so i was partly right ;)

you know what i mean - if your dual booting - it claims to offer read and write support :) , and yes i releaise he was asking about network now, if your on the meds i am things like rather different than they are ;)

Thanks guys,

But I am still stuck.

I really want to give a Linux workstation a go within a Windows workgroup environment. This PCLinuxOS samba worked with a dualboot setup and accessing files from the dualboot drive, but samba wants nothing to do with the Windows network. Their forums have not helped at all.

I already have OpenOffice on all Windows workstations, working without a hitch.

But Linux does need to have full read/write priviledges to all the files on those Windows shared drives and folders.

Is there maybe another full workstation distro that can have samba working better (maybe even out of the box)?

Thanks,

Heeter

How did you configure samba? Did you add the users to samba via smbpasswd

I did not even get to that point J,

I am still at the point of trying to "see" the windows shared folders so I can mount them.

Heeter

Well you need to configure samba and add the proper users before it will work. What happens if you type "smbtree" at a command line?

smb.conf

[global]
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
sync always = no
hide dot files = no
interfaces = eth0
encrypt passwords = true
netbios name = NAME_HERE
oplocks = no
delete readonly = yes
locking = no
workgroup = GROUP_HERE
debug level = 0
hosts deny = ALL
hosts allow = 192.168.1.
security = user
bind interfaces only = yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384

[system]
comment = Home
valid users = USER_HERE
path = /home/username
read only = no
available = yes
browseable = yes
writable = yes
public = no

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
printable = yes

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /usr/share/cups/drivers
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = yes

change as required, this config works fine for me, you will have to add users to the smbpasswd file on the linux pc, smbpasswd -a username

Thanks J,

Thanks Carpo,

When I get back, I will answer back as right now, I am not in front of that machine.

Can' wait to see if I can get this to work,

Heeter

Hey J,

I typed in smbtree into a command line, and nothing happened. The command line window just disappears.

But if I open it in Konsole, I attached the screenie.

Heeter

Attachments

• snapshot1.jpg
    snapshot1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Hi Carpo,

Where would I add these lines into smb.conf? At the end? Should I post a copy of my smb.conf file here?

Heeter

that is my full smb.conf - dont need all the other fancy stuff - just the bare bones ;)

Thanks a million, Carpo.

One quick question, The IP address of the "hosts allow" is the server Windows machine?

I have copied n' pasted your smb.conf post.

I have finally been able to put shortcuts on my desktop now to my shared Windows folders. There are still a few quirks. Like double clicking on the shortcut keeps asking for my server password. Opening a document opens OpenOffice Writer, but then OO asks for a password again and I am not able to play music from the server folder, but I have to download it to the desktop. I am thinking that all this just means I don't have full permissions to the folders yet. I haven't mounted anything yet, should I, or does this smb.conf editing moves past all that?

But I am now closer than I was before in the last two weeks.

If I get this password/permission things resolved, this is going to be our main workstation. I can't wait, Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heeter

Last edited:
what desktop are you using gnome/kde/xfce ? I know under kde there is an option in the control panel to put in the user and pass for samba, other thing is make sure the user on the linux pc is using the same log/pass as the windows account, that way it wont ask for the log/pass any more, or put log/pass in and tell it to remember it for the session

I am using KDE.

It does ask for the password, and it does remember it for the session, but I will change the username/password to being the same as the Windows Server. I will see how that goes.

I am wondering since I just replaced the smb.conf contents with your post, does the "hosts allow" ip address that of the Windows Server? The file path for all the stuff matches except for the the last one "path = /usr/share/cups/drivers" There is no drivers folder in the cups folder, should I just create one there, or do you think that it might exist somewhere else, and that I would need to change the file path in this smb.conf file? I have not installed a printer yet.

Thanks again,

Heeter

Somehow I think you are making this harder than it really is. Networking Windows and Linux with Samba is fairly straightforward. Do you have identical user acconts with passwords on both Linux and Windows? Is this XP Home or Pro?

Lets get the shares working then start adding printers., they can be a little more touchy.

Somehow I think you are making this harder than it really is. Networking Windows and Linux with Samba is fairly straightforward. Do you have identical user acconts with passwords on both Linux and Windows? Is this XP Home or Pro?

could have sworn i said to do that too :D

thats how i have it on my linux/nix/windows network - 1 log 1 pass makes life so much easier :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back