pc wont shut down now

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
i did the page file registry tweak so it would erase itself before shutting down the computer and now the computer just stays in the "windows is shutting down" screen and nothing happens )except that the hard driver activity light is permanently on in that moment)...anyone know whow to fix this?
if not, how can i reverse the tweak? i kinda forgot which section to go to

thx, Apu

I was going to sat to reverse the tweak & see what happens but.........I don't know it either. :rolleyes: Someone should be along to help point you in the right direction.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 0.
It's a useless tweak anyway.

Just a note, when doing a reg tweak export the key you are tweaking first. Then when things go wrong or you do not like the tweak you can just pop it back to where it was with the click of a mouse button......

Back up reg keys....

I have a hard time remembering to do this myself, but when I do it makes it a lot easier to go back to where I started with out using System Restore........

:D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but clearing the page file when shutting down makes the machine slower when shutting down (logical) and only useful if you seek the ultimate in security? (No page file means nobody can access files on it, though I have no idea how they would...)

I did the tweak for 1 day, it made my machine a hell of a lot slower to shut down, I noticed no performance increase while using my computer (does it claim to do this?), and lastly, I know nobody who has the knowledge on how to access my pagefile, and if they did, I've got nothing to hide.

I can see if you worked for a top security firm or something, and HAD to be super protective of your data...

Or am I way off here, does it have nothing to do with "security"?

You are absolutely right, it makes the shutdown very much slower and it is intended solely for security issues. However someone who is able to read a uncleared pagefile also will be able to access the cleared one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back