Pc to Pc files transfer with crossover cable...help!!!

adaa

OSNN Newbie
:cry: I have an old computer with windows 98 and want to transfer some
files to my new XP Pro computer using a cross over cable...I can't find any step by step instructions on how to acomplish this...can somebody help me here please!!!!

You need to make both computers members of the same work group and then set the ip address's manually lets say 192.168.0.1 and the second 192.168.0.2 then useing a crossover cable you can move files if they are shared that is between computers, and make sure both computers do not have the same name.

set up a peer to peer network.
Code:
PCA                              PCB
192.168.0.1                  192.168.0.2
255.255.255.0               255.255.255.0
192.168.0.2                   192.168.0.1

connect the two computer's nics with the cable. Wah la.

I'm a little rusty on win98, but I believe NETBUI also has to be installed.

Another tidbit not touched on, make sure both PC's are logged in with usernames AND passwords, and that the usernames are NOT the same

If they are desktop machines I'd pull the HD out of the old machine and plug it into an IDE port in the new machine as the Slave. Much faster.
1) Set jumper on old HD to Slave. Set jumper on back of new HD to Master.
2) Plug the old HD onto any open IDE cable or use the one going to the CD/DVD and plug a spare molex connectors into the old HD for power or use the cd/dvd one.
3) boot up and copy the filed from the old hd to the new one using explorer. The old drive will show as a drive letter after the opticals.

The harder way:
1) Get a cross over cable (USB or ethernet whichever both machines support. Ethernet will be easier with one machine using '98.)

Step by step for all variations of windows:
XP to 98 (95) link:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxpdcc9i.htm

Here's the general link:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your fast reply to my problem. I will try tomorrow with your sugestions...I will let you know the outcome.

I must be doing something very wrong:mad: ! Brad I set up the network following your directions with the same IP's addresses...it did not work. The last thing I've been trying is set up the network with the wizard included in Windows XP Pro...and it doesn't work...why I don't know. I ran the network wizard in both computers and shared the both drivers, still I don't even see the network at all. Pinging them by name does not work neither. Is there something else that I maybe is very obvious that I should do and I'm not doing?

Did you do what the other's suggested as well? Also, how old is the cable? There is a chance that it is failed.

Instead of the name try using \\192.168.0.x

I also dont think you need to specify the gateway, thats only for internet.

Adaa - at this point you may also want to consider slaving the drive as Leejend suggested.

There are many variables in your current setup that may be difficult if you aren't sure as to what is going on. That, plus win98 isn't the funnest OS to network with :dead:

I've tried all the ways mentioned here before but the one given by Techno Child is new for me. I screw my husband's computer(fried the mb) trying to add more memory, so now he doesn't want me to open his new computer but he wants to transfer the files. I will try Techno Child sugestion and see how it goes. I do really hate to work with Windows 98 because is hard to work with. I will keep trying with your help guys. Thanks so far for your replies.

Or get a 1GB USB Flash drive and go back and forth with it depending on the number of files. USB flash drives cost around $24.99 for a 1GB one on Newegg.com

After I burned my husband's computer motherboard I used an old IBM computer that had Windows 98 OS to tary to get his 2 HD's to work. The old pc that I used only had one bay for a CD Rom and one bay for the floppy, when I installed the second HD from my husband's original pc, it took all the physical space of the floppy drive, so this computer doesn't have a floppy drive to install the driver for the usb flash drive. I tried installing the driver thru the internet but I couldn't find the the path for the Desktop where I downloaded the driver for the flash drive. I have such a mess with this computers...all I want to do es get my husband new computer working so that I can get some technical credibility back. I'm studying for the A+ certification test.

adaa said:
I'm studying for the A+ certification test.

that's a fun one :p

you may want to make sure that you can get{if you need it} a driver for a usb data cable... I think it uses the same technology as a flash drive so that may be a problem :( I forgot that windows 98 was so bad on usb support...

can't you get a well known brand of a flash drive and download the software from the manufacturers website?

If you want to try and get the USB working on the 98 machine try this. It is a bundle of fixes from microsoft to improve USB on a 98 machine.

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

You do not need to mount the drives inside the computer just to copy files. You can mount the floppy or the extra HD externally. Make sure it is sitting level and on a cardboard or wood surface. I use a tissue box or the back of a notepad. The picture below is a fully function computer I use for testing questionable hardware. Do this to connect the floppy to load drivers. Cases are optional.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4,786
Last edited:
guys... in here, i saw a friend do that and he was doing like using a Plier.... that eat the rj11... then moves the RX and TX wire to the oposite then its on.. no software needed.... no IPs changed...

LeeJend said:
If you want to try and get the USB working on the 98 machine try this. It is a bundle of fixes from microsoft to improve USB on a 98 machine.

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

You do not need to mount the drives inside the computer just to copy files. You can mount the floppy or the extra HD externally. Make sure it is sitting level and on a cardboard or wood surface. I use a tissue box or the back of a notepad. The picture below is a fully function computer I use for testing questionable hardware. Do this to connect the floppy to load drivers.

Wow, that's awesome.

adaa said:
he doesn't want me to open his new computer but he wants to transfer the files.

that means that she cannot open his case Lee :) ... that usb fix should do the trick though... if it does, maybe a jumpdrive would be the best thing...

btw... i have no clue as to what zandyrei just said :laugh:

Why not just buy a hard drive case enclosure and do it that way, then you will have a handy external drive to use for backups and such.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back