PC runs slowly when reading from DVD

J

jweaver

Until recently, I would use my PC when reading from DVD (Say using Nero)

I should say that I am running XP.

However, something is changed and I don't know what.

Now, when I am 'reading', the PC runs slowly.. Windows visibly refresh slowly and using explorer is impossible as its just too slow.

As soon as the read stops, the PC instantly returns to to normal.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

are you copying from the DVD to the hard drive?
it could just be the activity on the hard drive that is slowing the system down...

what is your system spec?

jweaver,

how much mem you got, i suggest looking for a firmware update (sometimes it can improve performance)

is the dvd scratched. and you have to take into consideration the data on a dvd and the amount of data that takes off a second.

BTW what specs your pc:)

Spec (memory in particular), shouldn't be a problem and firmware isn't the issue, as I have the latest firmware all round.

The disk I am reading is brand new, but its a general problem with ALL disks.

I must admit that I AM worried that this is a hard-drive problem, as I am having another problem with reading DV in from my Camcorder and Video Editing in general running slowly too.

My spec is as follows

ASUS KT333 MB with RAID
512M memory
AMD XP 2000 CPU
Geforce 4 Graphics Card
Pioneer 106 DVD Reader (On Primary channel as standalone)
Plextor CD Writer (On Secondary Channel)
Pioneer 104 Writer (On Secondary Channel)
2xLarge HDs running on RAID controller.

The 106 is on the Primary as Standalone, so that I can benifit from its UDMA-4 mode.. The other 2 drives only run at UDMA-2, so they share a channel together.

I forgot to mention that I checked all 3 CD/DVD drives and they are running in DMA instead of PIO/

it could be windows waiting for the drive to initialize and theres not much that can be done

your firmware version should be 1.22 here if it aint

Not sure what you mean by 'waiting for the drive to initialize'.

I already have the latest Pioneer Firmware and everything has been working fine.. For over a year.

Its just recently that I have noticed the PC running like a dog when I have been reading from DVD.

I get the same problem reading from my DVD reader AND my writer, so I don't think that its a problem with my reader as such.. More likely an ASPI or DMA type problem.

noticing that you have a pioneer dvd writer, im guessing that when you say you're copying content from a DVD to your harddrive, you're not actually copying and pasting it, but are ripping the dvd to the hard drive in order to burn it to a cd (i.e. make a copy of a DVD). If this is the case, then chances are it WILL make your system run slow, as I've copied DVDs on a different PC before and when it reads the DVD content to the HDD, the PC runs fairly laggy - its a celly 1.3ghz, 512mb ram, 16x dvd etc.

im guessing that when it burns the content (if you are actually copying a dvd), the pc isnt so laggy (if at all)??

I have the same issue with the same pioneer drive,

It seems like the drive does not respond for up to 1 minute after accessing it. I have swapped everything - and have all of the updates. I have just learned to live with it.

It was working fine when I had 98 on my comp. Memory is not an issue for me either. (I have plenty of it and have also swapped it out) -

This is not a software conflict as it happens in WMP after reinstalling the OS.

everyone comments that it worked fine in win98... that kinda thing happens cuz win98 needs less power... and its a completely different O/S - 98 is DOS-based and XP is NT-based.

I owe you all a huge appology.. The drive WAS running in PIO mode after all.

My 2 writers (on the secondary channel) were running UDMA2, but the reader was PIO.

I was sure that I had checked, but I clearly didn't.

It took me a while to get it back to UDMA4, I had to delete the IDE device under 'device manager' and when the IDE came back, it was now UDMA4 again.

Now when I read from the DVD (Whether it be ripping a movie, or reading in a data disk), I can still use the PC at the same time.

Thanks for all your help and sorry that I have wasted your time.

Jon

Originally posted by jonifen
everyone comments that it worked fine in win98... that kinda thing happens cuz win98 needs less power... and its a completely different O/S - 98 is DOS-based and XP is NT-based.

Thanks captain obvious.

Originally posted by jweaver
I owe you all a huge appology.. The drive WAS running in PIO mode after all.

My 2 writers (on the secondary channel) were running UDMA2, but the reader was PIO.

I was sure that I had checked, but I clearly didn't.

It took me a while to get it back to UDMA4, I had to delete the IDE device under 'device manager' and when the IDE came back, it was now UDMA4 again.

Now when I read from the DVD (Whether it be ripping a movie, or reading in a data disk), I can still use the PC at the same time.

Thanks for all your help and sorry that I have wasted your time.

Jon

dont worry bout it m8.....u got it fixed + that is all that matters:happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back