PC froze during booting

deafo

OSNN Newbie
It sometime froze ( cannot use mouse or keyboard and the cursor's stuck ) during or soon after startup the pc. Sometimes it's ok. I have P4 1.8 IBM Desktop. PSU is only 185 Watts (micro one) and has 640 mram. Hard drive is 160 gig and PCI video card is 32 MB. Would the PSU be the cause? How will I test the fault? Thanx in advance

If you never changed out the PSU it is possible the PSU is going bad, I would try several things first.

1) Determine when this started happening?
2) How long does it take to lock up from the initial start-up?
3) Does it stay up longer if you dont do anythiong and let the computer just sit there?
4) When was the last time you did anything to change the configuration of your system? to include hardware and software?

Any of things things could cause your problem... if it is a heat issue, then anytime you run extra programs, it will lock up... an easy way to test that theory is to simply open one side of your case, if it doesnt lock up, then it might need a new layer of thermal paste, or your CPU fan could be going bad.

If it was a config change, then remove the hardware or software which changed and see oif the problem persists...

write back soon, and let us know how it goes....

thankyou mlakrid, I'll let you know as soon as possible. It only froze straight after the startupand I had to push reset button to clear it out. Never have any problem after that even I can use the pc all night long.

I'm not sure if I have fix it by fixing the registry system. It only froze during start-up ( that's when it's cold of course ) and the rest of the time was good. So I thought mmmm maybe I should get XP Repair Pro 2006 and it found so many registry error. After the software repair the registry system, it started without problem ever since but I'll waiting a bit longer for few days to see if it does really been fix, thankyou

Update a day later:
Nope, it did'nt fix the problem so I'll follow your advice mlakrid. It started soon after startup first thing in the morning so after I reset it, it's ok

Last edited:
So far so good, I've checked the hardware and took out one by one and realised one of the memory sticks may have causing the problem. It only happened at cold start so crossing my fingers. Thankyou for your help :)

Nope, it's still happening, but it only happening at first boot of the day. After that, it's normal. I'm using Win XP SP2 and when I've checked the EventViewer, it say

" Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000255F37551. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

Remember, it only happen when the pc is cold

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back