PC Cables

ming

OSNN Advanced
I'm wanting to get a new HD (pref SATA) for my machine. However, my machine only supports IDE drives and not SATA. I'm wondering if there is a cable which allows you to connect a SATA drive to a IDE socket. Does this kind of cable exist at all?

some of the new HDs, especially the bigger ones come with packaged SATA cards . I know my Western Digital did. It was a 200 GB HD. Something you might want to look into of you have the PCi slot free. :)

NetRyder said:
You could use a PCI SATA controller card. As far as I know, you can't directly connect a SATA drive to an IDE socket, and even if you could, you'd be defeating the purpose of getting a SATA drive in the first place.
Here's an example of a SATA controller:
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productId=97&familyId=3
Yeah, I know but the reason why I asked about this cable is that I'd rather buy a SATA instead of an IDE one is so that I can use it in the next machine that I'll upgrade to. I don't want to be spending money on these things unless I really have to.

falconguard said:
some of the new HDs, especially the bigger ones come with packaged SATA cards . I know my Western Digital did. It was a 200 GB HD. Something you might want to look into of you have the PCi slot free. :)
Thanx. Will check it out later.

you might as well just get a new mobo. to my understanding, getting a pci controller card, if you did have two drives, swapping files, drive to drive, that would be hella fast, but as far as using it for operating files and gaming and other normal tasks. Correct me if i am wrong but the speed of the drives or the info getting to the processer is going to be bottlenecked by the pci bus. Then there is no real advantage.
I would just get a new motherboard with it built in and go that route. I have built two machines with the Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO Socket-A nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset DDR PC2100/PC2700/3200. supports sata raid, and IDE raid.

http://www.aria.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?Category=8

Scroll down to CON-SATA-IDE..
"Just bought a motherboard with Serial ATA RAID? Dont yet have a SATA drive? All your problems are sorted with this handy little device. With pass throughs for both data and power connectors its the convienient step between old and new generations of hard drive."

£21.15 inc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back