pay phone question

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
hey...who remembers pay phones?

there used to be one on every corner, two or three in every building

then, cell phones became cheaper to use then pay phones, and now payphones are about extinct.

anyway, does anyone know how much money (on average), would be in a full coin box on one of these machines?

/me wonders why?

make sure you have a good blow torch or something. i saw on cops the other day where they used that and my gf tells me that it happens a lot in puerto rico where she is from :p. best of luck

btw i got a love tester thing from a theater my brother worked about the same size if not bigger and it was only half way full with $35-$40 worth of quaters :)

ha... someone wanting to crack open the money box i see.. ;)

In uk there every where still and always see people usin then today as much as 5 yeas ago imo anyway :speechless:

make sure you have a good blow torch or something.

ha... someone wanting to crack open the money box i see

I see this diversion didn't work;

then, cell phones became cheaper to use then pay phones, and now payphones are about extinct.

anyway, I'm telling *teh person* all they can get out of that thing is about 80 bucks, and he's risking way too much for only about a 100 bucks.

so the bet is on, but I want to know if anyone has an exact figure.

There are two pay phone booths right down here. I can see them from my window (and even hear people talking when they're too loud...which tends to happen a little too often)

NetRyder said:
There are two pay phone booths right down here. I can see them from my window (and even hear people talking when they're too loud...which tends to happen a little too often)
is this your answer to how much money is in one of the coin boxes?

thanx, it helps alot!!!

haha did you try google and put in the factors of if its busy or not? and how often do they pick up the money?

for any mathematician out there, its gotta be...... e to the power of something

haha
oh im sorry, i had to..

perris said:
is this your answer to how much money is in one of the coin boxes?

thanx, it helps alot!!!
Actually, I was responding to the first part of your post. :p

As for the other question...I'd say the range would be pretty big, depending on where the phone is located etc. I haven't used one for the longest time, so I don't even know how much they charge.

NetRyder said:
Actually, I was responding to the first part of your post. :p

As for the other question...I'd say the range would be pretty big, depending on where the phone is located etc. I haven't used one for the longest time, so I don't even know how much they charge.
I know, I was having fun with you.

anyway, since phone calls are no less then a quater, and assuming the box was full of quarters.

it's such a small box, I can't imagine it being over 100$...200$ would really surprise me

ya, I tried google, and couldn't come up with a search term that gave me a result

Well the lower third of the payphones at the local 7-11 here are all money box, but they are thick as to prevent people with small tools from breaking in. So I would buess the dimentinos of the inside to be 6" wide, 5" Tall, and 4" deep.

It costs 35 cents to make a local call, and a small fortune to make a long distance call.

But assuming that all calls were local or they were paying and there was a mixture of quarters and dimes?

But assuming that all calls were local or they were paying and there was a mixture of quarters and dimes?
just to be on the high side, let's assume it's 100% full, and all are quarters

My friend got $150 out of the one he accidently hit with his truck.

He handed the money over to the police after putting it in money rolls for them (He works for some company, he does all their money stuff related to the cafeteria, he always has a money counting machine/rolls to let it fall into to make nice 2 dollar rolls).

NetRyder said:
if they bother you again throw rocks at them tell them to buy a cellphone :D

Pay phones come in handy for people that dont have cell phones :p. Here it somtimes cost 25 cents up to 50 cents pending on the location.

You would be a fool to break into one. You woulnd't get much, but destroying it, you will get a Felony.

Un4gIvEn1 said:
You would be a fool to break into one. You woulnd't get much, but destroying it, you will get a Felony.

Tell that one to some of the idiots around here. I've actually had it where I've gone up to a pay phone only to discover that someone ripped the receiver (the part you talk into) off the phone and then left it behind. Or some really talented idiots actually make it a point to steal the whole pay phone.

Steevo said:
It costs 35 cents to make a local call, and a small fortune to make a long distance call.
Verizon owns the phones I've seen around here and costs 50 cents for local calls ... BUT you can talk as long as you want. :) If the whole box was full I wouldn't think more then $200 max. To risk a felony I say you'd wanna make at least a grand.

I can see the point of stealing a pay phone if you're going to use it, but for the money, seems a bit daft

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back