Passwords and services in XP

S

Sidnuts

Can anyone help me with the services options in XP pro?

I have disabled the services in msconfig that I feel I do not need or use, but I think there is an service option that is preventing XP from remembering saving passwords to connect to the internet and email accounts, as I keep putting the correct passwords in the aforementioned applications and setting to ‘remember password’ but when I boot into windows xp afterwards and try to connect or get my email, I still get prompted for my password.

Could this problem be possibly linked to some of the service start-up options being disabled, such as Net logon?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can you give us a rundown of what services you have disabled, and what you have running? That'll help me narrow down the possibilities. There is of course a chance that it has nothing to do with your services, but we'll start here.

Thanks for replying gaskill, much appreciated

probably easier if i show what services are running:

app;ication layer gateway
application management
computer browser
cryptographic services
event log
imapi services
network connections
print services
remote procedure call (rpc)
remote procedure call (rpc) locator
telephony
themes
wondows audio
windows installer
windows management istrumentation
windows management istrumentation drive extention
windows time

tried reading through all services descriptions but the only one i thought maybe linked to passwords was net logon and when I tried to start the net logon service i get the message - 'error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start.', so its probably linked to another service somewhere i presume.

I'm no services expert, so I have to go by the descriptions as well, but try turning these services on and off one at a time and see this fixes your problems:

Protected Storage
Security Accounts Manager

These two seem to be related to accounts and the storage of secure information.

Thank you

I'm in work at the moment, but as soon as I get home I shall try your suggestions, and let you know.

I appreciate your time, as this problem is a constant annoyance.

What build of XP are you running??

I have found out that when i was running XP build 2505 (RC1)
no matter what i did I couldnt get my dil up passwords to be saved.

I recent went to XP build 2600 (RTM) and right from the get go I was able to save the passwords.

May have been a glitch.

I look around to see whats up

JUST TWEAK IT

Simple fix actually. The problem is that you haven't initiated your password database. Go into user accounts and create a password for any account. This will activate this feature - this has been a glitch since Win95, i'm surprised it's still around.

After you create the password, then it should save your dial-up one. After you're satisified everything is working you can go ahead and remove the password on the user account w/o the problem recurring.

Also, once your password is saved you'll notice extra *** in the password field, this is only a masking feature, just hit connect.

Originally posted by Lonman

Also, once your password is saved you'll notice extra *** in the password field, this is only a masking feature, just hit connect.

:p Always wondered why it did that!! really got on my nerves thinking it had screwed my PW LOL

Thanks all for your help.

I enabled protected storage and Security Accounts Manager

Job done email client and Dial up connector password is now being remembered.

I know it wasn't a major issue but I was fed up typing my password for connecting to i.net and my 5 mail accounts.

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back