password prompt to use XP

achtungbaby

OSNN Newbie
All of a sudden XP needs a password from me. I managed to get around it and use safe mode to set up a real password so I could use my computer but now I can't figure out how to get rid of it altogether. Any info would be great!

Here ya go.

Disabling startup login prompt for password

1. Click Start, and Run
2. Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
3. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
4. Click Apply and Ok.

Disabling prompt for password after Windows XP resumes from standby or hibernation

1. Click Start, Settings, and Control Panel
2. Double click Power Options
3. Uncheck the "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" option.
4. Click Apply and then Ok.

By the way, great user name! :D

OK I don't know what the hell is going on. I try to turn off the startup login prompt but it always shows up and even if I try to allow the password it will not let me in. Out of nowhere this started and it keeps getting worse.

Hmm, not quite sure what you're trying to describe here. Does the welcome screen still appear when you boot up? You can turn that off too through the User Accounts in the Control Panel. If you unticked the box saying that users must enter a password and the welcome screen is disabled, then Windows should load straight to your desktop.

Muzikool

My wife thanks you. She's been nagging me to turn off the password on her Windows 2000 machine for years. I just left off the "2" - "control userpasswords".

:)

Great, didn't even know about it in Win2k. Thanks for posting about it, and your wife is certainly welcome! :)

Could the problem be I have an administrator account as well as my own? All I want is for the system to start up to completion without having to enter anything.

Your OS should have an Admin account in addition to your own regardless. Does the Admin account show up on the login (welcome) screen? It usually won't unless you specify that it should. If you always want XP to boot-up to the desktop under your login, then be sure that yours is the only account enabled in the User Accounts section of the Control Panel. If that is the case and you've done everything mentioned above but are still having problems, then I'll see what else I can find out.

Thanks a lot for your help....In User Accounts I have 3: mine (which says I am an administrator), an administrator account and the guest account which is turned off. When I try to start up a login screen appears and says "administrator" in the username. if I click enter or type anything it won't let me in, saying something about account restrictions. And if I type in my name it won't let me in...even when I tried previously to set up my own password. I have two hard drives on my system...the one I am using now is the previous OS I was using until I installed XP on my second hard drive. This XP was just getting too slow and cluttered. I do plan on removing it from my system as soon as I can get the newly installed one to work OK

In "control panel" when you open up the "user accounts" window, does it look like this (Your account being the blacked out one)?

Or do you have another user listed besides those two (such as "Administrator" with no name assigned to it)?

(see attachment)

Also if you created a password you could try and do the "change/create password" thing type in your old password and leave the "new password" box empty click "apply" and see if that works.

O.K. Found it.

If ya doen't want to enter the password at the welcome menu everytime you boot up yer computer and you tried to disable it in the user accounts (located in the "Control Panel"). And you tried clicking on your account and clicked on "remove my password" and it didn't allow you.

Follow this step to remove it.

1. Go to Control panel
2. Click administrative tools
3. Local Security Settings
4. Click Minimum password length
5. Reduce it to 0, No password required
6. Go to user account in control panel click your account and remove password.

This will disable the password feature. :D

Works with XP Home, XP Pro, XP Tablet and XP Media.

1. Go to Control panel

When I go to admin tools I don't see Local Security settings anywhere

And, my user accounts page doesn't look like the pic you posted either. I have 3 accounts...one being the guest (turned off), the adminstrator account and my name is the third

achtungbaby said:
1. Go to Control panel

And, my user accounts page doesn't look like the pic you posted either. I have 3 accounts...one being the guest (turned off), the adminstrator account and my name is the third

Post a pic of it please.

also...
To log on as Administrator and reset the password:

1. Restart the computer. After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.
2. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
3. When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Microsoft Windows XP edition (where edition is the edition of Windows XP that is installed), and then press ENTER.
4. On the To begin, click your user name screen, click Administrator.
5. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.
6. Click Yes to acknowledge that Windows is running in Safe mode.
7. Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel).
8. Click User Accounts.
9. Click the user account whose password you want to change.
10. Click Change the Password if you want to keep a password, or click Remove password if you do not want to use a password. If you remove the password, skip the next step.
11. Type the new password for the user, and then click Change Password.
12. Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

This is directly from MicroSquish. You may want to read the entire page, so here is the link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;enus;321305

Question:
Who is the actual Administrator of this computer, you or someone else? Is this computer on a network, if so is it the primary one or...

Again, post a pic of the user accounts window showing all the users.

achtungbaby said:
1. Go to Control panel

Are you using XP Home edition? I know that there are some differences in the admin tools.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back