Partitions

S

slayer[X]

Hey there.

I just partitioned my 20 gig hardrive and divided it to 2.

1: 6.34 gigs (Windows XP and Pagefile)
2: 12.6 gigs (Programs and Games)

Can you give me a couple of tips?
like where to put the pagefile, check this and that etc...
:p

Thanks in Advance..:eek:

I never really understood why people need to partition thier drives so much... to each thier own...

anyways, leave the pagefile where it is. There is no need to move it.

Originally posted by sboulema
please dealer dont read this ,please please please

He,he,he ... :p I usually put the pagefile on whatever is goin to be the largest partition.Which is usually my data partition.

The reason I use diff partitions (in response to Un4) is that I would prefer to keep my os away from everything else.If my os takes a dive( or a virus) I can reformat,install an be right back where I was in the middle of a saved game within 30-45 minutes. Plus it seems more organized an easier to defrag.Especially w/muti os's. :cool:

he made a seperate partition for the OS and kept the programs and games seperate. this is so he won't lose everything when he reformats. sure, some things will need to be reinstalled, but most games will run just fine without. at least this is the reason i partitioned this way.

even though your hd is partitioned, it's still only one physical drive, so it doesn't really make a difference where you put your pagefile.

If you still need opinions, I pretty much have the same to offer as the others. Leave the pagefile on the Windows partition and allow the system to manage the size.

I make a seperate partition for the pagefile not for "performance gains" but for security reasons. It's quicker to do a P. Gutmann free-space wipe on a dedicated partiton (in this case the pagefile) than it is on a partiton that is several gigabytes and contains the OS and other programs.

Also, when I go into "crypto mode" I can specifically encrypt the entire pagefile partition when working in real-time, "paranoid-mode.":) ;) :D

Originally posted by SnookBooger
I make a seperate partition for the pagefile not for "performance gains" but for security reasons. It's quicker to do a P. Gutmann wipe on a dedicated partiton (in this case for the pagefile) that say, under one gigabyte than it is to wipe the pagefile on a partition that contains the OS and other programs. Also, when I go into "crypto mode" I can specifically encrypt the pagefile partition when working in real=time, "paranoid-mode.":) ;) :D

Hahah that's intense! You work for the FBI? :p

Yes its easier to manage to put the page file on a data partition and therefore quicker to defrag.
Whispers in case Dealer hears !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back