Partitions not set up

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
I have just installed a 160gb maxtor hard drive in my computer. I run f disk and put to partitions on but i can only get a 19 gb partition on c drive it will not let me do any more, the d partition comes out at 129gb. can any tell me how to get a bigger c drive.

Can any one help i cannot use the comp as it is and if i have t reformat i dont want to much on it.

Is there a easy solution. I am installing it o XP pro.

You could use something like acronis disk director to resize your partitions. It's pretty easy with that.

If you are just installing XP use the setup CD and you can create the partitions from within the setup

*remember to use an NTFS partition not FAT32(limited at 32 GB)

if i try fdisk it only sees when i try to set up a primary dos partition when it has done that it shows 13% usage ou can then set a second partition of 87% but it will not do it the other way round

tried it through setup disk it says it is 8447.9mb maxtor stm3160215a drive when it is a 160gb can any one help

Have you ever installed an os before ? I am guessing that you see two partitions, one says 84 gig, and the other says the rest. If that is the case, you have to delete both partitions and then create a new one the size you want. at which point you can reinstall the os on the drive.

You realize that this will delete the os and you will have to reinstall it, right ?

kev, it may say that, but go back into setup again and delete the partition/disk with the delete option, this should allow xp to fully recognise the whole disk.

are we talking on the xp pro disk as i have een doing it with a set up floppy disk

gone into utility options and i am running a zero filling drive i will then start again

if i let it partition as one it sees all 160b. if try and partition it with 2 partitions it only sees 8447mb which i select 7000mb for first partition it then says 13% usage i can then select the remainder and it says 87% usage. i dont understand how this can be. It is a brand new hard drive

sorry will start again the only way i now how to create partitions is by fdisk. i have done this by trying to create primary dos partition and it says 21553 mb is available. if i select 17000 say for my first partition it comes up 11% usage it then ask if i want to use the remainder for my second partition which i do it then says that has 89% usage which when i install windows shows 19gb c drive and 136 gb d drive. If i the do it again and just create 1 partition it still says 21553 mb available but when i install windows c drive is 156gb im confused

the other usage is the unallocated space; other wards, space not being used. When you create the first partition to the size you want, format it. It should then be there. Once you format it and install the os you can go into disk manager in OS and create another partition with unallocated space.

Let me rephrase above: Only create one partition of the size you want. Then when the os is installed, go into disk manager and create the new one with the unallocated space ....

but i can only get 19gb partition if i do that and i would like a 80gb partition

followed what you said from the installtion disk seems to be going in ok will let you know. didnt realise you could do it this way learning all the time !!!

I am glad that you got it worked out..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back