Partitioning Tools

P

PseudoKiller

Does anyone know of any other than Partition Magic and that are free ??

In reply to that, I'm using Parttition Magic 7. But.,I have a question.I've got a brand new USB HDD 80 Gb ( as back up) and yesterday, I formatted and partitioned it using Partition Magic.Since it's just a back up HDD, I've got it partitioned in NTFS format.When it's done., I've only got 74.xxGb space on the HD.Where is the other 6 gigs ?? How could I recover it back ? Is there anyway I could start back from scratch ?? Thanks

Well PunkyChan those 6 gigs will not be coming back as if you read the fine print on the box the drive came in you will see what they use to measure a gigabyte which is not what the true measurement is for a GB

Plus you prob (hopefully) have a buffer in there too.

I use Partition Expert from Acronis. It's not free though .

You could also use a 98 boot floppy. If you know what you are doing .. Just resize the partition and then create a new one. then when you go back in to xp re-partition the un-allocated space ... It seems like a pain but the is basically what the programs are doing.

chastity said:
Well PunkyChan those 6 gigs will not be coming back as if you read the fine print on the box the drive came in you will see what they use to measure a gigabyte which is not what the true measurement is for a GB
wish we could do something about this as it is kinda false advertising when someone things they are getting a 80gig drive and ends up w/ like 76gigs or something all because they consider 1000mb to be a gig instead of 1024mb ... they should be held resposible for not following the standard measurements. I mean what if everyone rounded stuff ... bah !

Xie said:
wish we could do something about this as it is kinda false advertising when someone things they are getting a 80gig drive and ends up w/ like 76gigs or something all because they consider 1000mb to be a gig instead of 1024mb ... they should be held resposible for not following the standard measurements. I mean what if everyone rounded stuff ... bah !

True

I remember posting a news story about the very thing, someone sued some HD makers for the same reason, don't know what came of it. Nothing probably.

Oh and this seems to be one of thoe thingies
http://www.zbmsoft.com/zboot/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back