Partitioning Tools

Punkychan

OSNN Addict
In reply to that, I'm using Parttition Magic 7. But.,I have a question.I've got a brand new USB HDD 80 Gb ( as back up) and yesterday, I formatted and partitioned it using Partition Magic.Since it's just a back up HDD, I've got it partitioned in NTFS format.When it's done., I've only got 74.xxGb space on the HD.Where is the other 6 gigs ?? How could I recover it back ? Is there anyway I could start back from scratch ?? Thanks

chastity

Staff member
Political User
Well PunkyChan those 6 gigs will not be coming back as if you read the fine print on the box the drive came in you will see what they use to measure a gigabyte which is not what the true measurement is for a GB

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
You could also use a 98 boot floppy. If you know what you are doing .. Just resize the partition and then create a new one. then when you go back in to xp re-partition the un-allocated space ... It seems like a pain but the is basically what the programs are doing.

Xie

- geek -
chastity said:
Well PunkyChan those 6 gigs will not be coming back as if you read the fine print on the box the drive came in you will see what they use to measure a gigabyte which is not what the true measurement is for a GB
wish we could do something about this as it is kinda false advertising when someone things they are getting a 80gig drive and ends up w/ like 76gigs or something all because they consider 1000mb to be a gig instead of 1024mb ... they should be held resposible for not following the standard measurements. I mean what if everyone rounded stuff ... bah !

chastity

Staff member
Political User
Xie said:
wish we could do something about this as it is kinda false advertising when someone things they are getting a 80gig drive and ends up w/ like 76gigs or something all because they consider 1000mb to be a gig instead of 1024mb ... they should be held resposible for not following the standard measurements. I mean what if everyone rounded stuff ... bah !
True

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
I remember posting a news story about the very thing, someone sued some HD makers for the same reason, don't know what came of it. Nothing probably.

Oh and this seems to be one of thoe thingies
http://www.zbmsoft.com/zboot/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetHip