partitioning and virtual pagefile problem

M

mdsaint3

hi.. i have 2 hd's one 40gig and one 20gig.. im using the 40 gig as my system drive .. i formatted the drive using ntfs in win xp during installation.. how do i create another partition for this drive.. i want to keep 10 gig for system and 30gig for programs/applications.. i followed the help instructions..but the option to create a partition is not allowed..it shows but it is not highlighted...please help me on this..what can i do??

second problem is ... i've been using yahoo messenger.. but after re-installing the program everytime i try to send a message or update the preferences this error occurs... "page file memory too low" .. what can i do so solve this? my current ram is 256mb. dont do much applications..just usual surfing..

tips will be greatly appreciated..

p.s. is there a way for me to retrieve my old emails from another pc? im currently networked to that pc. using outlook express program for both mail clients.. pls help

thnks guys.. informative forum..

Welcome to XP-erience! :D

Firstly, you can use Partition Magic 7 to create a new partition on your drive without losing existing data.

Secondly, how large is your pagefile? Is it static or System managed?

my pagefile was on system managed..found a post to set it to 1.5 x my ram(256) .. is this correct? but yahoo messenger still not working.. "error in writng..etc" .. it maybe yahoos error tho . didnt get the page file error anymore after i reconfigured...

partition magic 7? is that downloadable? sorry im from asia.dont know if they have that program available here...but glad to know i'll be able to partition my drives without losing data..:)

thnks for the quick response by the way.. hoping for more info ..:)

my pagefile was on system managed..found a post to set it to 1.5 x my ram(256) .. is this correct? but yahoo messenger still not working.. "error in writng..etc" .. it maybe yahoos error tho . didnt get the page file error anymore after i reconfigured...

partition magic 7? is that downloadable? sorry im from asia.dont know if they have that program available here...but glad to know i'll be able to partition my drives without losing data..:)

Did you know that xp has its own partitioning tool. It can be found in computer management in the admin tools. Choose Disk Management. from which you can create and delete partitions.

oops sorry for the double post.. yes i know about the diskmanagement in xp.. that the one in help..thats the exact one i followed but the MAKE PARTITION AS ACTIVE link does not highlight.. any other ways of partitioning mydrive without losing all the data??thnks

Originally posted by mdsaint3
my pagefile was on system managed..found a post to set it to 1.5 x my ram(256) .. is this correct?

no...this is definately incorrect...especilally with your system...leave the page file to system managed, or better, set the minimum to 512, and allow expansion to the remaining volume available.

do not set the page file static

To import your e-mails: copy the *.dbx files (from your old computer) to the desktop of your new compter, then import into outlook on new computer. Be sure to include folders.dbx

There is an article describing the process in the microsoft knowledge-base, but this is what it boils down to.

Originally posted by mdsaint3

Partition Magic 7 is commercial software. You can download a trial version from www.powerquest.com
IMO, its well worth it if you can buy the full version though. As far as I know, its the ONLY software that can create/merge/split partitions without destroying data.

And dealer is right ... let the pagefile be system managed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back