Partitioning 100 GB Hard drive

R

ROJAS

A good friend has Win Xp and Win 98SE on a 40gb hardrive. He wanted to copy (Ghost, Drive Copy, or Drive Image) to a new Western Digital 100Gb. He is saying that fdisk only handles up to 80 gb. Is there really a limit for fdisk. Norton Ghost 2002, Drive Copy 3.0 or Drive Image ver.6 2002 didn't work. The data life tools that were included with his new drive also do not work. He contacted Western Digital and they are soon, releasing a ver 10 of Data life tools that will address large hard drive of up to 137GB.

Any way to solve this. He doesn't want a lot of partitons on the new drive.

ROJAS

rojasrr@brandx.net

the first step at the moment would be to connect the 100GB HD as a slave.. then use XP disk manager in Administrative Tools to partition and format it.. once that's done use Ghost or Drive Image to make images of the 98 and XP partitions.. I use Drive Image and have the diskettes to boot up and do restores to the new partitions..

1. install 100GB as slave

2. in XP partition and format new partitions (maybe C: 10GB, D: 45GB, E: 45GB - mind you with the old drive in there these drive letters will be different until the 100GB is installed alone as master)

3. drive image the Win98 partition and save it on a new partition, other than the first one (image cannot restore an image to partition the image file is stored on; maybe choose E: or something to store both images)

4. boot up with Drive Image rescue disks

5. locate Win98 image (ie. E: ) and restore to C:

6. locate Win XP image and restore to D:

that's the basics of how to do it.. it's a lengthy process but the alternative is to install everything from scratch which is a longer process..

Thanks, RobbieSan: I'll try this process. I do not want to start from scratch again.

ROJAS

by the way... If you change your hardware completely, video card, etc... is it wise to just norton ghost the copy of your old hardware configuration ? Or should you install over again a fresh copy ?

as a rule of thumb (wonder where that phrase came from) fresh installs are best.. that way you know there are no left over files from previous hardware.. you can do an image and then change out files and edit the registry.. it can be tricky if you manage to mess up your registry so that's why I advise you backup teh registry first just in case..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back