Partition Tragic....any ideas?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OK I'm an otherwise happy user of PM but today this is driving me nuts :mad:

I have a 120GB drive and I want to split it 40 primary 20 data and 60 video. Yesterday I created the video partition fine, but accidentally took the default setting and it "stole" space equally from the others, reducing my data to a mere 6GB (which incidentally is getting fullish!).

I have tried several times in different permutations to either resize the primary (smaller) the data (larger) or even as last gasp try to redistribute free space between primary and data (which would actually give the sizings I originally wanted!)

What on earth is going wrong? I notice that PM tells me it has the operations pending, but when I go to reboot it does not do anything lengthy, from which I smell a rat - IE it is doing nothing, which is exactly what the symptoms are after reboot - nothing has changed!

Someone must have hit this - is there an MSCONFIG service or something I need to check? I've tried the Symantec FAQs but hit nothing there. BTW all partitions are NTFS, which should help. Only oddity I notice is it mentiones the caution about my C: Partition "crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary and may not be bootable" but I do not observe any boot problems and am not dual booting or anything like that. I'll post again after my next try - hope someone knows what it could be! :confused:

Did you try reducing the size of one of the other drives in one operation only.
Try that and see if it gives you some unused space to play with...

Mubbers said:
Did you try reducing the size of one of the other drives in one operation only....
been there - done that - and a lot else - PM seems to do absolutely nothing now and I have no idea why not

even disc scan is out

just tried scheduling an XP disc scan on the volume and even that somehow gets chopped and goes to the boot screen - something's screwed up somewhere, some kinda timeout value - anyone have any ideas?

Firstly I'd back up all your data!

Secondly try using the PM rescue disks, maybe your PM software has been corrupted.

If that don't work re-install the PM software.

If that don't work doesn't XP have the facilityto define partitions?

Thirdly.... reformat!

Mubbers said:
Firstly I'd back up all your data!

Secondly try using the PM rescue disks, maybe your PM software has been corrupted.

If that don't work re-install the PM software.

If that don't work doesn't XP have the facilityto define partitions?

Thirdly.... reformat!
Firstly data backed up yesterday - safe there
secondly - good idea, will post back on result EXCEPT rescue is from earlier partition situation and backup is from DriveImage! Not sure where I stand there - may attempt dialog with Symantec as they sell both products
thirdy - yessss - but that is why I bought PM, to make my life very easy!

Anyways, good advice regardless and rest assured my data is, or should be, very safe (if I can trust DriveImage!). I am getting an external firewire HD as soon as money allows so that should give me added flexibility in terms of backup security, but for now backup is on second internal HD.

thanks - Ill let you know - honestly do not suspect my drive for any failure though because it is only four months old... now I guess others may post with their horror stories of newer drives head crashes! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back