Partition question

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
I would like to know the easiest method of adding more space to a partition. I thought I've done this via Disk Managment prior, this isn't a frequent thing I perform so I don't remember and even remember if its possible.

Use partition magic if possible, but remember to backup all your important data before attempting to resize a partition as there is a chance of data loss in the process.

I second partition magic. You can either install and run in Windows, or run it in a WindowsPE environment like BartPE (www.nu2.nu)

The only real difference as far as tasks would be that if you install and set your options within Windows, you would have to reboot to have them applied. Whereas in BartPE, although you have to boot to it, the changes get processed immediately. After a reboot, they would take effect.

i 3rd partition magic, and second the data backup. I resiezed a partition with partitoon magic and lost everything after PM got an error :). so notihng is 100% perfect, but ive only had 1 problem with partiton magic. Other then that 1 time it works perfectly.

I advise against partition magic based on the number of times its hosed an entire disk on me doing nothing more than a resize.

Acronis Partionexpert is much easier, safer and all around better imo.

PM 8 is very good never had any problem at all no matter what I was doing with it. Ive used true image but not the partitioning software from acronis, I may have a look at it though.

I've seen PM8 stop at 20 something %.
When that happens, you lose everything. Make sure you backup what you need, which i am guessing may be difficult.

It's messy.

I have used PM8 pretty heavily, I would say about 50-75 times, give or take. Honestly, I have only used it about once within Windows, the rest within BartPE. I have never had a problem with it though, reliable and fast in my eyes.

I've been the big promoter of Acronis Disk Director Suite and Acronis True Image. Excellent programs. I've also used PM8 and my preference is Acronis hands down. One of the first things I do after installing a fresh install of the OS is backup my C:\ drive of my XP Pro and save that image file to another partition. It takes about five minutes and your done. No rebooting.

napalmnthemorning said:
I've been the big promoter of Acronis Disk Director Suite and Acronis True Image. Excellent programs. I've also used PM8 and my preference is Acronis hands down. One of the first things I do after installing a fresh install of the OS is backup my C:\ drive of my XP Pro and save that image file to another partition. It takes about five minutes and your done. No rebooting.

If that is how you use it, wouldn't it just be easier to create the second partition within the Windows XP Setup? When you create your original parititon and format it, do the same for the second. Even less time if you choose the NTFS Quick File System Option

yep, Acronis is the way to go. Partition Expert is a lot better than PM. I use that and True Image all the time, I have it in bartpe as well. Pm8 has a habit of not working right, there were numerous times I tried to use it and got nothing but errors ..

Then again, pretty much everything symantec owns sux !

Johnny said:
Then again, pretty much everything symantec owns sux !
When making statements like this you should add "in my opinion" as that is all it is.

Many people use Symantec products without any problems.

American Zombie said:
When making statements like this you should add "in my opinion" as that is all it is.

I agree. Besides, I don't think that Symantec has updated or released any versions of PM since the acquisition.

I used PM and it stopped at like 18% on the resize and stayed there for like 20minutes so i thought it was bad and rebooted and had to format the whole drive. Learned my lesson @ least.

mooo said:
I used PM and it stopped at like 18% on the resize and stayed there for like 20minutes so i thought it was bad and rebooted and had to format the whole drive. Learned my lesson @ least.

Well, that is not entirely the fault of PM. I actually did the same thing with Acronis Hard Disk Manager once, but because I wanted to test the software, and then I had to go to work so I rebooted manually (insert comment here) haha.

So yes, if you cut off an in-progress repartition operation, it REALLY messes up your MBR & MFT. Maybe the program froze, maybe not. Either way, bad boy! :)

Almost better off letting the program hang, maybe it was a hiccup and go back to it later. Should time out/error out eventually.....

Were you able to quit the program itself, did it respond? Or did you reboot it yourself?

yea the next time i did it, left for an hour and a half and came back and was done :)
I will never do it again.

American Zombie said:

o.k, o.k, In my opinion: Everything that symantec owns sux ! It really, really, sux. Can I go on ?? Na, that would just be over doing it.. Sorry that I hate symantec ..

kcnychief said:
If that is how you use it, wouldn't it just be easier to create the second partition within the Windows XP Setup? When you create your original parititon and format it, do the same for the second. Even less time if you choose the NTFS Quick File System Option

Is quite possible but when installing a fresh copy of XP I create one NTFS partition. From there I create my other partitions using Acronis. I do have Partition Magic on my daughers PC and it works fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back