Partition Program

N

Not Bman

I hate to ask another simple question here the same day, but I am more looking for opinion then options.

I need to format a drive in FAT32, and windows Right Click Format option only gives NTFS. What is the best (free hoperfully) program to do this?

why do you need fat32 ?

anyway....

open cmd window
type format x:\ /fs:fat32

why do you need fat32 ?

anyway....

open cmd window
type format x:\ /fs:fat32

type exactly that but replace x: with the drive letter?

*i also trust a program more lol..

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, "Format" is a program, it's just the it's command prompt only so it doesn't have a GUI. Most any command can be typed:

xxxxxx /?

to get the options to use with the command.

However, as long as you're using a reasonably recent Windows version, there is a GUI program included to do what you're asking.

From the Start Menu, choose Control Panel. Look for Administrative Tools. If you can't find it, choose the option in the upper left corner to switch to the Classic Control Panel (you can switch back the same way). Then Administrative Tools should be the fourth option or so listed at the top.

From Administrative Tools, choose Computer Management. Then choose Disk Management(Local). This is essentially a partition manager, similar to many commercial products that you'd have to pay for except that the commercial products have a lot more features, but you don't need those features for this.

Right-click the partition you want to format (either at the top list or at the bottom graphical representation of your drives and partitions), and choose "Format..." of course. :)

If the partition you chose wasn't previously formatted (says Unallocated in the graphical representation towards the bottom), then the option to Format isn't there. Instead, choose "New Partition...".

Press Next choosing your options (I'm guessing you want an Extended/Logical partition). Eventually you'll get to the screen that gives you the option to change the File system from NTFS to FAT32 or even FAT from the drop down menu. Unless you know about Allocation unit size (also called Cluster size or Sector size), then leave it at Default.

I would normally checkmark "Perform a quick format" at the bottom of this screen. Depending on the size of the drive, a non-quick format can take a LONG time.

Let me know how you make out or if there's any problems. These instructions were based on Windows XP but are essentially the same for Windows Vista or even Windows Server 2003. I'm guessing they also apply to Windows 2000; I don't remember.

Thanks guys, parted magic seems to be what I want.

Technically, "Format" is a program, it's just the it's command prompt only so it doesn't have a GUI. Most any command can be typed:

xxxxxx /?

to get the options to use with the command.

However, as long as you're using a reasonably recent Windows version, there is a GUI program included to do what you're asking.

From the Start Menu, choose Control Panel. Look for Administrative Tools. If you can't find it, choose the option in the upper left corner to switch to the Classic Control Panel (you can switch back the same way). Then Administrative Tools should be the fourth option or so listed at the top.

From Administrative Tools, choose Computer Management. Then choose Disk Management(Local). This is essentially a partition manager, similar to many commercial products that you'd have to pay for except that the commercial products have a lot more features, but you don't need those features for this.

Right-click the partition you want to format (either at the top list or at the bottom graphical representation of your drives and partitions), and choose "Format..." of course. :)

If the partition you chose wasn't previously formatted (says Unallocated in the graphical representation towards the bottom), then the option to Format isn't there. Instead, choose "New Partition...".

Press Next choosing your options (I'm guessing you want an Extended/Logical partition). Eventually you'll get to the screen that gives you the option to change the File system from NTFS to FAT32 or even FAT from the drop down menu. Unless you know about Allocation unit size (also called Cluster size or Sector size), then leave it at Default.

I would normally checkmark "Perform a quick format" at the bottom of this screen. Depending on the size of the drive, a non-quick format can take a LONG time.

Let me know how you make out or if there's any problems. These instructions were based on Windows XP but are essentially the same for Windows Vista or even Windows Server 2003. I'm guessing they also apply to Windows 2000; I don't remember.
nice first post, tons of rep points for you

nice first post, tons of rep points for you

Wow, thanks! :eek: :laugh: Hello, all.

You could also use FAT32Format to do it: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Microsoft basically restricted FAT32 creation to up to 32GB in order to make NTFS more popular. Though the original topic has probably been solved already, this will probably be useful to know in the future.

Good info. It's been so long since I used FAT32, I had forgotten about this restriction.

Last edited:
I will reply to you guys once I get my system back up and running lol

what's with everyone wanting a gui with stuff??? all a gui does is issue the commands you can do at the command line.

But yes replace x wit the drive letter you want to format

what's with everyone wanting a gui with stuff??? all a gui does is issue the commands you can do at the command line.

But yes replace x wit the drive letter you want to format

Because we aren't the hardcore geeks we used to be, we like it simple and easy now lol

back in the day you didn't have guis - wasn't a choice of being a geek - was just how it was done

I still prefer almost everything on the commandline :)

I've been called old school, geeky, insane, some other things.... but when I can get tasks quicker than other people can in a GUI, they tend to shut up.

i even use terminal for most things inside of slackware :D

I believe in the best of both (or all) worlds. Of course, there is no one "right" way. Everyone chooses what works best for them. I still go to the command line occasionally (maybe once a week or so), but of course I generally use the GUIs, even for programs that support both GUI and command line.

Same with keyboard and mouse. I use keyboard short cuts somewhat, but I mostly use the mouse. My brother on the other hand uses keyboard short cuts almost exclusively, but he's quite obsessive about it. Personally it would just mean more for me to remember, and I have enough trouble with that already. :nervous:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back