partition magic experts please

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
ok, I don't want to do a fresh install on this laptop to set up my partitions cuz it's a laptop and I don't want to have driver issues.

so I have to use pm

should I create a primary partition or should I hit the "install a new os button"?

should I create an extended partition in fat and install boot magic, or shouldn't I be able to pick my boot drive myself on boot?

when I hit the "install a new os" button, it gives me the option to isntall immediatly, or at a later time...whcih is the best option?

thanx in advance

First of all, what do you want to do with the partition? If you are just splitting the partition, all you need to do is shrink the existing partion then make the new empty space a logical partition.

You might want to think about changing programs then. I don't know how compatible PM is with anything over 32 bit XP. Normally you would just select Install another operating system, and just follow the instructions given, but again this applys to 32bit os' only. Look into the Acronis line: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/

Edit: I can't stress enough backup your setup now, before you make any changes. If you have drive image and a CD writer, that works great.

it's a 32 bit os that's going to be doing the work, the 63 bit os doesn't exist on the drive yet, then I'm going to be installing the 64 bit on the primary partition that's created

You could go a simple way, and just reduce your existing partition, then install the new xp on the second partition. XP will automatically setup a multi boot system for you, so whenever you boot up it will ask which os you want to use.

Nuisance.... but Bootmagic only works on Fat/Fat 32 partition... so you need a primary non active partition for it first..
Have installed XP 64 bit dual boot this way as well ... more trouble than its worth

Thats why I mentioned the simple way. The install of the 64bit XP, should recognize that another OS is installed and use its own multiboot feature.

it's an oem on the original drive, so there's no area for the os to partition unless I create another primary partition

emeritus said:
You could go a simple way, and just reduce your existing partition, then install the new xp on the second partition. XP will automatically setup a multi boot system for you, so whenever you boot up it will ask which os you want to use.
will this work?

if it will, it's genous

You don't have to create a primary partition. Open up PM, and right click on the existing drive and select resize/move. Move the cursor over the right side of the bar and drag it till you reach the size partitions you want. Select OK, then apply. Now you can format the partition. Then install the 64bit XP, just tell it to go to the second partition and go from there.

Yes, it will work. I have done many times to install 98/xp, linux/xp, and even xp/xp. It has worked each time without a hitch.

The thing to remember is your original 32 bit xp has to stay as the first partition. It is a major hassle to swap a current install to a second partion or even a second drive.

well, that's a great method...pm should document that, as it's much easier then what they want us to gp through

Oh, definately, and as much of a fan of PM, I am, the bootmagic program sucks!

Just remember, backup first!!! I can't stress that enough!!!

And a note to anyone else who reads this, this works only if you are installing XP second with something else. Linux does have its own boot loaders, but I even found those to be hinky, most of the time.

it's a brand new install, there's nothing to back up but my security protocol

well, this method worked perfect for a while...I'm on my 64 os right now

then when I tried to boot to my 32 os, the ntoskrnl is missing or corrupt

I think I can get it back thou

The 64bit ntoskrnl might have over written the 32bit version. I don't know alot about the 64bit version of XP. I know its supposed to take advantage of 64bit architecture, but thats about it. I apologize that it didn't quite work all the way. I have done an xp/xp install, but of course they were both 32bit versions. I will do some searching and see what I can come up with, to help you out!

I am reading about a ton of people who have done it, but nothing about whether you have to do anything special. I will keep looking...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back