Partition Imaging

B

Bernie

I have my hard drive in three partitions C,D,E. The first `C` has Windows plus all my serious (and vital!!) programs - I use my computer for my business.
I have purchased both Norton Ghost2002, and Drive Image 5.0 as I wish to back up the vital `C to D`
It would appear that I have wasted my money as none of these programs recognise that I have three partitions!!!
Can anyone recommend a program which works with XP, or am I doing something wrong?
I have GoBack installed.
Thanks
Bernie (bernascone@btinternet.com)

I have 2 drives with 7 partitions and Ghost 2002 works great. It has saved me on more than one occasion. What sort of partition info is it giving you?

I'm set up like you
c:\ win98 fat32
d:\winxp NTFS
e:\downloads and mp3's, etc fat32

I have pmagic 7.0 on my xp partition and it can read all just fine....

Are you using the boot disc created in Ghost? I use a Win98 boot floppy and copy mouse.com to it for mouse support. After the PC boots I pop in a second floppy with ghostpe on it and run ghostpe. Pick "Local", then "Disc" or "Partition" depending on which I want to image, then "Image" and burn the image to CD.

Thanks for your replies.

I have three partition C`D`E - All NTFS. C has XP + all my vital progs, Office etc. D is blank as I wish to back up C to it.
Ghost says I have to add GoBack Drivers to the boot disk - I don`t know what these are!!!
Drive Image from their boot disks does not recocnise any partitions.

Bernie

And there's your problem.

Ghost can image NTFS partitions (2002 Ghost required for the newer XP NTFS).

However, Ghost can only write to a FAT 16/32 partition. Same thing with your other clone program. Ghost "sees" all drives and partitions on your system, but doesn't list any in the image-dump dialog box because there isn't a FAT partition/drive for it to see.

You need to use a spare drive or create a partition that is FAT32.

For XP after a fresh installation, it will take about 640MB of HD space with a Fast image (I highly recommend never using the High compression setting).

For me - with Office XP, 5 games, applications, VB Basic 6.0 and some other stuff installed, a Fast image will take ~5Gigs.

Good Luck Amigo

I have XP, C,D,E like yourself Bernie, all NTFS.
I have Drive Image 5 and made the rescue disks and boot off those.
Dont really know why yours wont work, but Drive Image 5 will work under XP.
It sees all my drives and WILL copy to NTFS, and I ve got the backups to prove it! :D

5.0 will write the images to NTFS?

Dang - I'm going to have to go look for myself a copy of that then!

I really love Ghost though.

thx :)

Thanks for all your replies, I will try again with Drive Image Boot Disks tonight. Maybe GoBack is the problem.
If this does not work maybe a `FlipToDisk` external Hard Drive will work. They are expensive but as my computer is Soooooo vital to my work I will have to get one?
What does everyone think?
Bernie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back