Partition Hard Drive

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
If I create a small partition on my Hard Drive, and install XP Pro on it, can I put Documents and Program Files on another partition, leaving only Windows Folders on the first partition? If this is possible is it worth doing?

yes it is possible, and a good idea, just remember to add enough space for any patches, service packs and plugins and point your swap file to the larger partition

Yes... by all means put XP etc on a separate partition but remember that when you install programs the system files loaded as a result will go on the main partition although the program files may load to c/d/e/f/ or whichever partition you nominate.
So a once small main operating system partition becomes gradually more bloated via increases in the Windows folder.
I have 9 partitions covering 3 hard drives to spread progs around.

I encourage you to do this. I've done the same and it keeps Windows running very well. By default, the folders that you will see on C: are Documents and Settings, Program Files, and Windows. These need to stay. You can edit your registry in order to make all of your programs' installers point to D:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files.

Here is the registry change, it saves a lot of time when installing programs.
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
Value Name: CommonFilesDir, ProgramFilesDir
Change the value of "ProgramFilesDir" and "CommonFilesDir" to the desired Program Files and Common Files directories.

Thanks Guys, I am very grateful to you. I wondered if the Default Documents and Program Files Folders would move to the other partition, but from what you say the don't, so presumably it is just a case of creating duplicates on the new partition.

I have hit my first problem, the XP installation disc loads OK, but when it gets to the Create a Partition bit, it shows the size of my Hard Drive, tells me the Partition must be at least 8mb, but then won't let me enter a size. I have tried all the keyboard keys, but there is no option but to return to the previous menu. I thought that the XP disc would let me set up several partitions if I wanted to.

Hmm... are you booting to the XP disc? The disc will let you create multiple partitions, and I've never had a problem doing so. Are you starting clean and reformatting the entire disc? After doing that, it should let you create partitions and let you choose the sizes.

I am sure I chose all the right options. I get to the point where you choose 'C' to create a partition. I then get told the minimum partition size and the maximum size, which is the size of my hard drive, is highlighted, it looks as if it should be easy to alter, as the figure as shown with a square prompt after it, but it will not allow any alterations.

I think Capricorn is talking about hitting 'C' to choose to create a partition.

The only reason I could imagine that you wouldn't be able to alter the size is if you have all the space partitioned already. If your entire hard disk is unpartitioned space, then I don't know what the problem could be.

If you have no choice but to make the entire hard disk one partition, then I'd say to go ahead an create it and finish installing Windows. Once the OS is installed, you can use a utility such as PartitionMagic to simply partition the extra space.

Thanks Muzikool, what I did was to choose to delete the existing partition, the option then was to create a new partition, by pressing 'C' on my keyboard. This brought up the page saying to choose a partition size between 8mb minimum, to a highlighted maximum, which was the same size as my existing drive. It looked at that stage as if all I needed to do was to delete the highlighted figure, and enter a new figure showing the size of the partition I wanted to create. But the highlighted figure would not delete, and I couldn't enter the figure I wanted. So I could only return to the previous page, which gave me the option to format and install Windows.

Muzikool, about that registry tweak. If i remember correctly, i tried using what i believe was that exact same tweak, and after i made the changes, it assumed that the designated folder was ALSO where the already installed programs are, which means you would have a bit more work ahead of you afterwards. Not 100% sure, but i'd check up on that.

ElementalDragon said:
Muzikool, about that registry tweak. If i remember correctly, i tried using what i believe was that exact same tweak, and after i made the changes, it assumed that the designated folder was ALSO where the already installed programs are, which means you would have a bit more work ahead of you afterwards. Not 100% sure, but i'd check up on that.

Yes, that is basically true, and something I intended to mention. As far as the Start Menu shortcuts go, you will have to go to the Properties of most of them and redirect the shortcut back to C:\Program Files. It's not too big of a deal since there are only a few shortcuts on a fresh install, and all you really have to do is change the 'D' back to a 'C.' When you think about it though, having to do that would take less time than to browse to the new installation directory during the install of every new program.
:)

Capricorn said:
Thanks Muzikool, what I did was to choose to delete the existing partition, the option then was to create a new partition, by pressing 'C' on my keyboard. This brought up the page saying to choose a partition size between 8mb minimum, to a highlighted maximum, which was the same size as my existing drive. It looked at that stage as if all I needed to do was to delete the highlighted figure, and enter a new figure showing the size of the partition I wanted to create. But the highlighted figure would not delete, and I couldn't enter the figure I wanted. So I could only return to the previous page, which gave me the option to format and install Windows.

It seems as if you've done everything correctly. Wish I could give you "The Answer," but I just don't know why you can't change that number.

Right, I've got around the problem by using a Partition Program. I have created 3 partitions. I have a small one, on which I have installed the XP, on the second one I have installed the programs, and the third one I am using for downloads.

Now I have one worry. What happens to the Programs if I reinstall XP?

if you mean after you installed stuff like games/apps/etc... on your programs partition? if so, then the easiest answer i know is you would probably either have to reinstall them, or hope they have a registry file in there somewhere that adds the registry settings. or you could back up your registry, but i'm not sure how that would go with other changes that may have been made.

Capricorn said:
Right, I've got around the problem by using a Partition Program. I have created 3 partitions. I have a small one, on which I have installed the XP, on the second one I have installed the programs, and the third one I am using for downloads.

Now I have one worry. What happens to the Programs if I reinstall XP?

Glad all is going well so far. :)

You have the exact same setup as I do as far as partitions go. If you have to reinstall XP, then you will have to reinstall your programs again. There really isn't much that can be done about that since you would have to reinstall them regardless of whether or not they were on a separate partition. This is because registry entries and application data are installed into the OS. The good news is if XP crashes and has to be reinstalled, your programs' saved files are still safe on the other partition. :)

I found, after making 3 partitions, and installing programs on the second partition, that Outlook Express wouldn't open. In the end what I did was installed XP on the first partition, then download all the updates, then also installed Office on the first partition, and updated that, then installed all the other software on the second partition. So far Outlook Express, and everything else, is running OK. Did any one else have trouble with Outlook Express when creationg multi partitions on one hard drive?

My Outlook Express installed onto the XP partition by default... it's installed with the OS is it not? My Office installation is on the software partition, and I haven't had any conflicts.

Were you trying to open OE from the Start Menu? You would have to redirect the shortcuts in the Start Menu back to your XP partition.

Glad to know that everything is working out well with your setup. Like I said before, I'm setup the same way and it really helps my system perform well. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back