Partition Hard Drive

Thanks for that. Yes Outlook Express loaded by default onto my C drive, and worked fine at first. I loaded Office onto my D drive, and that worked fine. I then altered the Registry Settings to load Programs straight to the D drive, and again everything seemed alright, until I updated XP and Office, with the latest updates.

That's when I noticed Outlook Express wasn't opening. I tried altering the shortcuts, and even just opening Outlook Express straight from the folder, but no good.
I now seem to have a bit of a mixture of programs loaded between the C and D drives, but everything is working at the moment. I don't use Outlook Express, but I don't like things not working right, even if I don't use them.

Allocation Unit size

Hi

I have four partitions on my hard drive and want to use one specifically for mp3’s & video files etc. I read somewhere that it’s a good idea to manually set the allocation unit size to a value higher than the default setting, up to 64k was recommended, apparently this works better with large files such as mp3’s etc.

Is this good advice? Has anyone done this? I would be very grateful for any comments and/or advice.

Also, is it a good idea to move the windows pagefile to a different partition?

Many thanks :)
Webster’

Allocation Unit size

Hi

I have four partitions on my hard drive and want to use one specifically for mp3’s & video files etc. I read somewhere that it’s a good idea to manually set the allocation unit size to a value higher than the default setting, up to 64k was recommended, apparently this works better with large files such as mp3’s etc.

Is this good advice? Has anyone done this? I would be very grateful for any comments and/or advice.

Also, is it a good idea to move the windows pagefile to a different partition?

Many thanks :)
Webster’

you can if you like, usually this speeds up xp if you also use the registry tweaks to use all availble ram and purge dll files, just remember to point it at the larger partition you can let windows manage it for you :)

where would one find these registry tweaks please! :) and how do i change the allocation unit size?

Thanks for the info falconguard, can I just ask based on your comments: is it better to let windows manage the size of the pagefile then, rather than set the size manually?

Thanks again - much appreciated :)

Webster'

yup , it's good to let windows manage this for you, for an in depth read look for Perris' post on the paging file.. most of the tweaks can be found in the tweaks section of OSNN. :D

Abbadon , Mycomputer/Properties/Advanced/Performance/Settings/Advanced

Just to go of subject a bit but why not buy a second harddrive for your work/mp3/photos etc.. this way if your main drive has a virus, boot problems bad sectors your data would be safe on a seprate drive. I have six drives in my system and plan on having more,(external this time) I have a large collection of mp3 on my machine ripped from my cd's and many rare lp's I was a dj in a past life. I also have a separate machine built just as a media pc. This is in my livingroom and it acts as a dvd, mp3, divx, wma, wmv, real player and quicktime player. This machine was built on the cheep from parts recovered from many upgrades. It's a modest machine by today's standards but dont forget it only plays media. It consits of a Athlon xp 1700+ a 80 gig hard drive ATI AIW radeon (for vid in and out and TIVO functions) a Haedware mpg/divx decoder (realmagic X card) a soundblaster live and a old DVD drive and old CDR-RW. total cost $50 for a new case. It works great and it keeps the livingroom clear of the main pc. All this is hooked up via a wireless hub to the main computer...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back