Partions?

we dissagree...I stand my my statements..

and I am even willing to lay a 2 to 1 handycap

single partitions are that much faster, that you can have twice the computer, twice the processor, and twice the ram..and I will be finnished at the end of a common day minutes ahead of anybody that partitions...

poke.gif

Originally posted by dealer
we dissagree...I stand my my statements..

and I am even willing to lay a 2 to 1 handycap

single partitions are that much faster, that you can have twice the computer, twice the processor, and twice the ram..and I will be finnished at the end of a common day minutes ahead of anybody that partitions...

poke.gif

I get the minutes back when I defrag and then some
your defrag not only takes considerably longer (hours not minutes) its consumes more resources and energy resulting in a shorter lifespan of components and higher fuel bills as well

thats not to mention the time it takes to restore the data in the event of a format

:p

no

the amount of time it takes to defrag is a variable of how much fragmentation there is, not how big your volume.

your comulative defragment over all volumes will take longer, not less long, as some of your drives will be a struggle with less headroom

as far as the time it takes to reformat.

here, I can't argue, and I cede.

now, I have my xp for about a year...my single partition is faster, (much) then the day I got it.

I have yet to a need of reformatt.../me thinks all these needs of reformats occur more often on a partitioned volume.

hehehe

another conspiracy...no?

no

the amount of time it takes to defrag is a variable of how much fragmentation there is, not how big your volume.

your comulative defragment over all volumes will take longer, not less long, as some of your drives will be a struggle with less headroom

not quite true for example
my mp3 drive has 12% free space out of 31gig it has never been defragmented all the files have written sequentially and contigously improving seek time and doing away with the need for it too be defragmented

Temporary Internet Files partition
on an average days surfin I can get through about 500 new files & nearly all of them fragmented
defrag only takes a minute

XP fragments quickly with the amount of logs it keeps and the numerous updates it requires
had my 30 gig of mp3's been on the boot drive they would have been moved around the disk many times

where as using partitions these files are still in the same place I put them 6 x months ago

thats a net saving of DAYS :eek:

I have yet to a need of reformatt...me thinks all these needs of reformats occur more often on a partitioned volume.

hehehe

another conspiracy...no?

I reformat because I can

:p

not quite true for example
my mp3 drive has 12% free space out of 31gig it has never been defragmented all the files have written sequentially and contigously improving seek time and doing away with the need for it too be defragmented

...thats a net saving of DAYS

hehe...taking to exageration, are we 2z?

anyway, the point is well made, allbe it is exagerated, it's a fine point indeed.

...I cede here too, but this is important only in fat, as you know...not relevant in this discussion

please restrict your points to ntfs...this way I won't have to cede as often.

now, a point you must cede in ntfs.

Temporary Internet Files partition
on an average days surfin I can get through about 500 new files & nearly all of them fragmented
defrag only takes a minute

because fragmentation is only an issue if you are 85% full, if you have partitions, there are drives that will need to be defragged often, where otherwise, not at all...for instance, your temporary internet folder, whih is ntfs.

unless you made the partition twice the size you need, you will need to defrag this jsut about all the time.

not true if you did not partition.

thank you, thank you very much

and finally;

I reformat because I can

and that's the very point...

I don't reformat because it slows me down to do it...(dherrrr)

you also partition because you can.

I don't partition because it slows computing down to do it

partions are fun, and that's all they are...they are otherwise counterproductive in ntfs.

ok, on a slightly related subject that 2zig brought up...

I have a 2nd physical drive that houses 30 gig of mp3, 10 gig of divx and some other random files. I've noticed that seek times are really down on this drive (espcially when opening a folder with alot of mp3's). I use diskeeper to defrag this drive. My question is, If I use perfectdisk, will this make the files contiguous again, and conseqently make the folders quicker to open?

ya...perfectdisc will bring all those babys together, and contigous...it will even group your most accessed files together, and so, speed that access.

I do not believe however, if you are using ntfs, that you will notice a differance in this performance.

let me know about this, dreamliner...I'd like to hear your results.

perfectdisc has a trial period, so give it a go

do me a favor if you have the time;

use clearmemory, and clear your ram.

then open a coupla these files while timing the events.

then run perfectdisc, including the offline defrag

then run the same sequence.

let us know if you can measure a differance in performance

thanx

Originally posted by dreamliner77
ok, on a slightly related subject that 2zig brought up...

I have a 2nd physical drive that houses 30 gig of mp3, 10 gig of divx and some other random files. I've noticed that seek times are really down on this drive (espcially when opening a folder with alot of mp3's). I use diskeeper to defrag this drive. My question is, If I use perfectdisk, will this make the files contiguous again, and conseqently make the folders quicker to open?

I'm gonna guess here and say your using NTFS ??
because this doesnt happen too much with FAT32 partitions
so no it wont make any difference even if you turn off indexing

:rolleyes:

I am using NTFS.

Perris, i thought the current consensus was that clearing ram was not needed in XP.

I have in the past used clearmem, ramdefrag 1.6 and ramdefrag 2.3xp.

so, i figure it's really not worth it, but when I have a chance, i'll give it a try.

ya...clearing memory is not needed to speed performance, and will only impede performance in xp

that's why I wanted you to clear memory...to slow your performance...that's the very point.

I'd like to see what this optimization does without the benenfit of the excellant memory management that xp has by design, so, I wanted to circumvent the memory management benefit.

clearing memory definately slows xp down, and that's the point of the experiment.

thanx dreamliner

here's a perfect example;

right now, my pagefile is using 412 mbs

I just looked, and I have 39mbs actually written to my pf.

I'll be back, after I clear memory with a report

ha...my ram useage went down to 76mbs

my pagefile use remained exactly the same!!!( I believe this figure is incorrect, as the coolmon operates in real time, and I probably didn't get a chance to look at the useage as it increased)

mbs written to the pf...418 mbs!!!

of course, everything I tried to do was incredibly slow, until the ram repopulated.

mbs to the pf returned to previous levels, but my computor is noticeably slower with everything I do

it will remain so, until the ram is repopulated as well as it was before I cleared the memory.

an excellant depiction

I'm just gonna start calling you the memory expert!!!

as far as my testing goes, my net connnection is all screwy right now, so might be a few days before i get around to doing it.

I was thinking though, isn't the reason large folders take a while to load is because it has to read the individual files for "details"? So what if I only choose "name" in details view? Or is there any way to disable the reading of the files completey (until I right click and choose properties)? Just wondering...

well, the view is going to have an affect on load time...thumbnails, etc.

I would experiment...but my big files open pretty fast...I'm wondering what's happening on your box too

Well, dealer, you see, I have about 16,000 mp3's in one folder. Now, i know you're gonna say, "man, just break them up in to seperate folders."
But I really don't wanna do that for a couple of reasons.

See if this does anything to help. Back up the registry first.

When you highlight a image or video file, explorer tries to make a preview for you in the left window pane. Well some video files are > 700mb and this bogs down explorer, so if you try to rename it/move it, etc, explorer is tying up the file b/c it can't generate a preview fast enough. The mentioned registry fix disables the preview thus enabling normal file changes to these large video files.

Open regedit and go to :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

Delete the value you find there.

the prob is with mp3's though. I installed that reg hack along time ago since i have many divx's and never use the preview

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back