Votes: 12 85.7%
  • open source or other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
I had one of the first versions of pocket xp which just used too much juice but I liked it

then I was talked into the palm (treo) which I hate...it doesn't work like a multithreading os and it crashed alot

now I'm on the latest incarnation of pocket xp and it seems excellant

anyway, poll and reasons for your choice...I am especailly interested in alternative os's for pocket devices...wondering if anyone "dual boots"...I can get a 1 gig smart card and think I might try another os on this if it's possible

Last edited:
I voted for "pocket xp", but don't you mean Windows Mobile Edition 2003? Or am I missing something?

kcnychief said:
I voted for "pocket xp", but don't you mean Windows Mobile Edition 2003? Or am I missing something?
yes, that's what I mean, will edit

I don't know about open source, but IMO you really can't compare Palm OS to Windows Mobile. There are so many advantages, first and foremost ActiveSync only vs having to install Palm Desktop, and something like Pocket Mirror to sync with Outlook. It's just so cluttered and requires so much more work with the profiles to get things to work correctly. Pain in the a$$

I've had my Dell Axim for about 1.5 yrs now and its running the older 2002 version of Windows mobile and I really like it. I have used palm before and like kcnychief said above just having activesync versus the whole palm desktop stuff is much less cluttered. I have been wanting to get a new handheld with the new OS on it but for what I use mine for I can't see spending the money just yet.

now if only i could get mine to die on me so i can justify the spending....

I voted for Pocket PC, I have 2002 0r 2003 and I think its great. Its much better organized then Palm and looks a whole lot cooler (skinnable).

I never did like the palm OS, that and the grafitti (sp?) text input. And like Yharn said runing activesync is better then the Palm Desktop.

Uses outlook (which is included with the device, at least for me it was.) which if you use already is a nice central way to keep things organized instead of having to use multiple programs.

I use a Pocket PC, and have been for quite some time now. I gave up on Palms years ago. I just didn't like them.

I think the poll results speak for themselves...

I work in desktop support at a large University and have had the pleasure of setting up and supporting hundreds of PDA's/Smartphones and I would prefer a Windows Mobile device any day of the week.

Windows Mobile 2003 is far superior to Palm in everyway. It is more intuitive to use, is much more stable and ActiveSync seems to give me less grief than Palm Desktop.

I'm waiting for Cingular to debut the Treo 700w (currently only Verizon has it). After I get my hands on it I'll vote.

Even though a I am pretty die hard open source, BSD and Mac person I still prefer the way the Windows Mobile devices both operate and look.

As soon as Orange release the new M600 here in the UK I am going to get one. Then all I have to do is wait for MissingSync et al to get Windows Mobile 2005 support. Until then I will probably just sync my PC with my laptop, then the PC to the M600 :p

Also I quite like the ease with which software can be written for the Windows Mobile devices though that said there is an awful lot of crap software written for the Windows Mobile platform, especially in the area of utility applications.

I have used both extensively since the last time I posted in this thread. I still feel that Windows Mobile is by far the best choice. In regards to useability and support, it is much easier to get someone used to a "windows-like" environment vs. something like Palm OS which somewhat resembles the "File Manager" from Windows 3.1

:up:

pocket pc is the bestest apparently

I read somewhere (on the internet so it must be true) that the pocket pc handwriting recognition is just about on par with the Newton from years ago. I have my doubts on this information though :p

That said I am getting annoyed with all these people just coming in, bumping a few aged threads then fupping off again

I love my Zire71 but,I will move to PPC with my HP Ipaq only because my Zire does not have Win x64 support

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back