Pagefile setting

E

eminem910

ok..i have 2 hardrives.. 120 gig and 45 gig. the 120 is divided into 2 partitions.. one for OS.and another for more storage.. so thats 3 partitions total... i let winxp system manage the paging file... for all 3 partitions(or drives i guess).. total combinded paging file size is 1725 megs.. anyone have any ideas what i should do?..isnt 1725 a little too much?.. which drives should i create paging files on.. and how big.. thanks a lot

first, you need to set to 0 at least one of the pfs on the partitioned drive.

splitting pfs on the same drive is counter productive.

you can split the pf accross two hardrives, but I don't see a good gain, though ms claims there might be, and you need to experiment to find out.

so, the most pfs you should have with this settup is 2, and every system is differant, and for best performance, it's easil to have best performance with one pagefile....like I said, ms actually says you need to experiment to find out.

in any event, the initial minimum should probably only add up to 1.5 your ram, but not less...unless of course you tell us you ahve more then two gigs of ram, and then your initial minimum should be 2 gigs, but you must leave expanson enabled for that figure to be valid

There can be some performance increase to having the PF on the seperate HDD since the OS can page to disk (second HDD)and write to disk (first HDD) at the same time. Performance gains are minimal though, but it is how I have mine set up. The only ramification of not leaving a PF on the system drive of at least the size of your RAM then XP cannot write a memory dump (though they are complete unnecessary and basically impossible to interpret).

My rec would be to have it on the second HDD.

alright.. so i'll set page files on my c: and my g:.. but what values do you suggest
c: (partition on system drive)
minimum allowed: ?
maximum allowed: ?

g: (slave disk, slightly slower)

would like dealers advice for this one.. hehe

we need to see the amount of ram you have

I've gone over yor post, and I can't find it

also, dealer would rather 2z or netryder, or speedy b or j79, yoyo, etc... give you advice on this one...they are much better with partitions then I am.

I will just tell you make sure the total of all pagefiles winds up to at least the 1.5, with expansion enabled, and take their advice from there

thanx

c: (partition on system drive)

if you intend to use system recovery memory dump > let windows manage it

if not > set C:/ to no pagefile (that drives busy enough)

g: (slave disk, slightly slower)

for optimal performance > I recommend a small FAT32 primary partition of around a gig in size > purely for the pagefile
(doesn't matter if this drive is a bit slower > as long as its fairly large)

it all depends what kind of programs your going to use

if your going to use any image editing programs or any memory intensive programs you will need to increase the minimum
(I have my minimum set to 850 meg & max @ 950 > *always leave a bit of space on the partition*)

if not you can let XP manage it for that drive

Virtual memory is a poor substitute for RAM
with the amount of RAM you have your more than likely to have some paging of the OS to disk > which makes the system slow & laggy

RAM is very cheap at the moment > the more the better

for me the optimal amount RAM is in my system is 768meg o RAM > the OS does not page its self to disk any more

resulting in an overall net gain in performance

:cool:

why does dealer say he doesnt know how much ram i have?.. its in my signature it says 384 megs of ddr ram anyways my current settings are
for c: min: 576 max: 600
g: min: 2 max: 384

hmm.says my total paging file is 576 megs though

I broke my box, and I only get to skim posts while I'm on someone elses computer...

sorry

for c: min: 576 max: 600
g: min: 2 max: 384

hmm.says my total paging file is 576 megs though

XP wont make a 2 meg pagefile

:huh:

lol. then why does it say "minimum: 2 megs".. so what do you guys suggest. i have 384 ddr ram.. need a paging file for the master drive.and the slave drive.. min and max values.for each

its for system recovery 64k memory dump

XP will only make when it needs to

your pagefile size is initially restricted to the minimum value

regardless of your upper limit XP will still grind to halt when it has to create more VM.

The upper limit is to ensure that the space is kept available if the need arises for expansion.

a good benchmark for minimum settings is the balloon tip
Windows needs to create "VM" you cannot start anymore programs
if you see this message increase your minimum

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back