Pagefile (Read Lonman)

Z

ZipTriX

I got the warning again about low virtual memory. So I increase the max pagefile. Need to know if it is ok now. 1.5 x 1024 seems like a big pagefile.

I think as long as that memory leaking driver is running that no matter how big you make your page file, it will eventually fill up. The page file size you had (50-250) is plenty big as long as your programs/drivers are correctly releasing memory... which one of yours has been determined not to do.

One hopeful point though, by increasing your pagefile to this current size... maybe now you'll get your other bsod before the pagefile runs out of space. Still waiting on that bsod to identify the bad driver... get that fixed and you'll be able to reset your page file back to where you want it.

Yeah, leave it like you have it for now. Keep an eye on it though... open explorer once in a while and see how big it's getting. The name of your page file is 'pagefile.sys.' It's a hidden system file located in your root directory.

The Intial size needs to be the same as the recommended, max should be 1/4 more than the Initial size
(i.e. 256 MB recommended/Initial, Maximum 384)

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by chooch
The Intial size needs to be the same as the recommended, max should be 1/4 more than the Initial size
(i.e. 256 MB recommended/Initial, Maximum 384)

Hope this helps.

Not if I 1024 MB of ram

The ammount of ram you have on your system has nothing to do with the size of your pagefile, since the pagefile is a file it has to do with the ammount of Hard Drive space you have, you are telling your system to convert certain ammount of Hard Drive space to memory.

I retract what I posted previosly, by you posting 1024 MB of ram on your system means that the recommendation would be some where between 1300 MB to 1500 MB size of your page file which I think it would be a good amount of wasted disk space.

Here is Microsofts recommendation:

A pagefile that's set too small can lead to overactive disk swapping, or "disk thrashing." The only real drawback with a relatively large swapfile is that you might not have as much disk space available for other uses as you would if you'd followed the pagefile setup recommendations. The formula suggests you start with "amount of RAM + 12 MB." In your case, that comes to 76 MB.

To figure out if that's realistic, you'll want to monitor the actual usage of the swapfile over several days. To monitor disk activity using Performance Monitor, execute the "diskperf" command while logged on as a member of the Administrators group. Then watch the "pagefile usage peak" object over several days of typical server use. It would be smart to set the update interval in Performance Monitor to something like 20 or 30 minutes to reduce the impact on your system. You'll find everything you need to know in this KB article—Q102020: How to Monitor Disk Performance with Performance Monitor.

Monitor for a few days to determine your baseline usage. If the usage is, say, below 76 MB, then you'll probably want to set the swapfile Initial Size at 76 MB and the Maximum size at about 100 MB. If the pagefile usage peak is greater than 76 MB, consider setting the Initial Size to that maximum value + 10% and the Maximum Size to something like 140% the Initial size.

execute the "diskperf" command while logged on as a member of the Administrators group

How do I do that?

Lonman bad news :( Gotta wait another 9 days. Screensaver froze me last night might have to reset the settings of my video card, but i think it is going out. :mad:

why does the computer god punish me like this? :confused:

Sorry, try perfmon from the run command or Performance from Control Panel/Administrative Tools

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back