pagefile question

FishBoy

Feeeesh
will anything happen if i disable the page file, i currently have it set to 10gb, i was just experimenting but i didn't feel any change with the pagefile that big, so i want to disable it instead to see what happens but i wanna know if it's safe or not
thank

Let Windows manage the pagefile...enough said.
*Cue perris with explanations* :p

well no coz everytime i do the offline defrag on perfect disk i feel that my computer takes longer to shutdown

exactly why do you want to touch things? lol iv hear perris say it before as well but i cant find the post. hehe leave it be. hehe

windows may not need it, but it expects it. if it doesnt find it, it gets angry.

perris said:
no you don't

the threshold is 4 gigs
uh yes i do i set it to 10gb myself just to see if there will be any difference and the default was 500 something

leedogg said:
windows may not need it, but it expects it. if it doesnt find it, it gets angry.
angry like what, as in it might crash?

well when i come back to canada in january im gonna get the 40gb disk with me and put the pagefile on there, coz now i have the 10gb and it's really slow for the pagefile to be on it i tried it and the 120gb is for media and docs and stufflike that only so im not putting the pagefile on there

do you think it'll be better to have the pagefile on another disk?

Why would you wanna set your swap file to 10GB anyways? I think even if you could set it that high without being a super computer and with like gigs of RAM your wasting like 6+GB of HD space that'll never be touched.

Why would you wanna set your swap file to 10GB anyways?
he doesn't have it set to 10 gigs...he has it set to 10mb's or 1000mb's

it's impossible to set the pf to anything over 4 gigs

and who could even run a system (practically) with four gigs RAM? We all know we tend to run with 1-2 GB here, I mean this is one of the reasons the page file exists, no?

I feel sad when these page file threads pop up - it is like people cannot learn! :p

Link to perris' pagefile article, someone! I can't be bothered now...Madden calls...

:D

Xie said:
Why would you wanna set your swap file to 10GB anyways? I think even if you could set it that high without being a super computer and with like gigs of RAM your wasting like 6+GB of HD space that'll never be touched.
as i said already twice i did it just to experiment i was just trying to see if there will be any change there thtat's the 3rd time i say it

ok so i guess im gonna set the pagefile to 2gb, right ?

two gigs is excessive, but it won't hurt anything

a larger pagefile doesn't slowshutdown unless you are clearing the pagefile...don't ever do that

4 GB is the maximum addressable memory by an intel/amd proc on X86. Well, even less considering there is a ton of stuff that gets loaded into memory. And other crap that goes on.

[=oops]...hit edit instead of quote[/oops]

Heres a good question, wouldn't the max be (4GB - total RAM = max pagefile)?

Since x86 boards only support 4gb of memory?

it's not a hardware restiction chaos...there are boards that support more then 4 gigs of memory...the four gig threshold on the pagefile size remains.

under pressure from some of their high end clients, microsoft did come up with a hack to circumvent the 4 gig restriction for those that need more then a 4 gig pagefile ...it involves more then one pf though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back