Pagefile question

C

Clean_Rich

I can't seem to find my pagefile. Shouldn't there be a file called pagefile.sys at C:\? I did a search on both hard drives for "pagefile" (without quotes), and had it check in hidden folders as well. It didn't find anything. How can I get it back if it is indeed gone. Thanks.

P.S. Windows XP Pro

The reason this all came up is that I tried to run that pagefile defrag program and when I rebooted to have the program do it's thing, it just sat there and did nothing. It said "Defragging pagefile" but there wasn't any indication that anything was happening. I waited for awhile but I finally gave up and hit the reset button. Anybody else have this problem with that program?

Originally posted by Clean_Rich
The reason this all came up is that I tried to run that pagefile defrag program and when I rebooted to have the program do it's thing, it just sat there and did nothing. It said "Defragging pagefile" but there wasn't any indication that anything was happening. I waited for awhile but I finally gave up and hit the reset button. Anybody else have this problem with that program?

your might be tough to defrag

launch the program...it will tell you how many fragments your pf is in.

one fragment is no fragmentation

my pagefile.sys showing 3 fragment...
after running pagedefrag... it still showing 3...

Originally posted by dealer
your might be tough to defrag

launch the program...it will tell you how many fragments your pf is in.

one fragment is no fragmentation

Hey Dealer, here is what it said when I launch the program.

I chose the option to defrag once and then reboot. The program does run and says it defragging the pagefile but it just sits there. On the screen it lloks like this:

Defragging Pagefile:

It never shows any kind of activity after that. I wouldn't think you'd have to wait too long for it to give you an indication that it was doing something. I waited about 15 to 20 minutes one time.

that's a hundred and three fragments...

give the program plenty of time to work, go watch a game or something...see if it's done when you get back

there is a chance your pf is in failed sectors fo the hardrive...this might make it impossible to defragment.

you can manually defrag the pagefile by setting it to 0x0

then reboot

then do a complete defrag

then resett the pf...give that a shot f letting the program go for a while does no good.

the thing is, if I remember, this program will tell you when it is not successful, so I think letting it run for a while will be the first step

Originally posted by dealer

you can manually defrag the pagefile by setting it to 0x0

I don't understand this, where is this done? Thanks. :)

windows key + break

advanced, poerformance, settings, andvanced, virtual memory.

after you set it to 0, reboot

defrag after the reboot

after the defrag, reset the size to what you like, reboot

launch the program, and see what itn says

or even simpler then this, downlaod the trial version of perfect disc.

this program will remapp the pagefile for you too, though if there are bad sectors in the area that perfect disc wants to put the pf, it will be fragmented there also.

anyway, pd is a good program to give a trial to

hey dealer- i have the full version of PD,can you tell me how to defrag my pagefile,at this point i am unable to find my pagefile ,i have unticked the box that says protect system files-& still no luck i am running xp home if that makes a difference.
thanks

highlight the drive.

up on the toolbar, hit dfragment.

hit offline defrag.

go from that

i'm looking to defrag my pagefile only,the problem i was speaking of is i am unable to locate my pagefile .looking under pagefile.sys

Originally posted by bluzeboy
i'm looking to defrag my pagefile only,the problem i was speaking of is i am unable to locate my pagefile .looking under pagefile.sys

Windows Explorer/Tools menu/ Folder options/view tab/ unchecked "Hide protected operating system files".

rich-i read your pagefile question,and i have unchecked protected operating system files.but it still shows no results when i search for pagefile.sys
thats the problem i am having!

bluzeboy, my last laptop also refused to show me the pagefile, no matter what I did.

I knew it was there, as dk found it, pd found it, the native defrag of xp found it, and the registry found it.

maybe try logging in as the administrator.

in any event, if your defrag program sees it, it's there

so if i defrag both my volumes ,will that suffice or is there more i can do to ensure that particular file is defraged?

look at pd, see what it says about the pf

after an analysis, or a defrag, go through the window that pops up to see what it says about the pf

also, the native defrag that comes with xp will give you an analysis of the pf as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back