Pagefile in network question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Would it be really worth my while throwing the pagefile from this (gaming) computer into my file server tower? The file server tower is always on.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

My guess would be "no", as it should run/be accessed faster when based locally

hmmm...depends on how the file server is hooked up I think...among other things

it's usually better to have the pagefile on another physical drive...mind you, not on another partition of the same drive, but if it's a differant hardrive, and if that drive is fast and big, and it is not used, and you are hitting the pagefile, you might see a gain....lots of ifs

a small drive would be counter productive, even if it were fast.

in any event, I doubt you would get any measureable gain regardless, as with your 512 mbs of memory, I don't think you're accessing your pagefile while on your game.

anyway, if you are writing from disc, just give it a go...simple enough to try

I have to disagree with perris on the "another drive part". I tried that and ran into a problem. With up to date energy saver hardware and software unused HD's spooldown when idle for a while. Spinning back up introduced a major delay in accessing the pagefile and added a lot of spoolup / spooldown cycles to my second drive.

I keep a 6 gig partition on my 1rst physical drive for the pagefile and to store cd and dvd images on prior to burn. It keeps access time fast and prevents pagefile fragmentation.

leejand, I agree with your post..I didn't concider spin down,,,nice job

i got my page file spanned across 3 drives on a seperate controller, no problems here, faster than before :)

Stupidly stumbling into the problem myself doesn't actually qualify as "nice job". But thanks for the thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back