pagefile defrag?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I have updated the pagefile information with an instructional by TwoZigzagColt45 and this goes on to mention a pagefile defrag program on the free programs thread

... but I cannot find this program or the thread - has it gone?

But on the other hand - my understanding is that if I select to run with no paging file - restart - run a defrag - then the paging file will be defragged as well.

Is this correct? Because I do not need a program to do that for me really!

dunno what happened, but the thread link is a bad one - thanks for the program though

If you have more then 1 drive(partition) w/ the space I believe you can put the pagefile on the other drive and then reboot ... defrag drive that had pagefile on it origanlly then move page file back to that drive :)

more complicated then a program though :confused:

Why not just clear/delete your paging file on shutdown/restart?? Thats what I do and prevents corruption or other problems.

I use System File Defragmenter V2.21 (sys internals).

I have 4 partitions. I have set my swap file (Page file) on E: as the drive is only 1.5 gig. It is my smallest drive. I set pagefile as minimum 2 meg to 1400 meg on that drive and every boot it defragments it and it still stays on E: even if I delete it every-know-n-again.

My system is better working when System File Defragmenter V2.21
is enabled.

Originally posted by Dlovely
Why not just clear/delete your paging file on shutdown/restart?? Thats what I do and prevents corruption or other problems.

I'm interested - how do you do it ? When the system is running, the pagefile can't be modified [safeguard] ? ? ?

... why not set a fixed size in a separate partition, then it will always be defragged ?

Hi Sinatra

welcome to NTFS

I don't recommend a fixed pagefile
if windows ever needs to create more virtual memory your system will grind to a halt while it creates more

I also don't recommend deleting the pagefile on shutdown
start up will obviously take longer
fragmentation is no longer an issue as it was with win9x swap file

the only time you really need to adjust the pagefile settings is when you get a warning that windows has run out of virtual memory and needs to create more

\the pagefile is always contiguous once you defrag it, it can't get fragmented once you defrag the file, that's an old myth, and it is not possible no matter where you read that it is

when your needs grow, (which it will if you are a member of any teck forum) as you load more programs and do more and more with your box you need expansion there as a safety net since it's a benign function unless you need it

to put the information as simply as possible;

the original pf cannot be affected by expansion.,,,this is a fact, not an opinion

when the pf expands, portions are added to it, and the portions are obviously not contiguous, and this is how the myth began

but, the expanded portions are discarded on reboot...obviously, your pagefile must be in the same condition on reboot as it was before expansion, so expansion kept you going at no price

as far as the manual method of creating a pagefile, it's simple enough through the interface, you have to go into your pagefile applet, set it to zero, reboot, defrag,

then you need to set a proper pf, and reboot again

this will sometimes not work however

the best method is to simply use the free utility I have been touting all these years, or one of the professional defragers will also do the trick

any other questions, (as well as this one) are discussed with great detail on this board.

if you are enamored with pagefile info, do a search on this board, and you will have some fun

Sinatra, welcome to our board, look forward to seeing more of your posts

ah, I see 2z has gotten here before me...HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?...i'M SLIPPING

LOL

after months of gaming 24/7
I've now got lightning fast reflexes

:p

is this the thread that will never die? Looks like that KB article is fresh... but you only need the first pagefile for STOP error debugging? Did I skim read, or is it best to simply have one pagefile on the second partition? Someone put me straight.... (*thinks* time for bed!)

The optimal solution is to create one paging file that is, by default, stored on the boot partition, and then create one paging file on another, less frequently accessed partition.
Sounds like 2 to me.

Originally posted by MainframeGuy
is this the thread that will never die? Looks like that KB article is fresh... but you only need the first pagefile for STOP error debugging? Did I skim read, or is it best to simply have one pagefile on the second partition? Someone put me straight.... (*thinks* time for bed!)

Now WHY can't I see the images in your post ?

Still confused about how the forum works ...

Frank :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back