Page_fault_in_nopaged_area

B

BOB050082

I was forced to re-install windows XP because on every startup, just before windows loaded, i got a BSOD displaying a message says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NOPAGED_AREA". I tried every boot option but still got the same BSOD. Any idea on what caused this or how it can be prevented in the future?

my idea is you might have lowered your page file, which of cource should never be done in xp, or you might have created a static page file, which again should never be done

my RAM is fine, and i didnt change any pagefile settings. This problem happened once before and i didnt think anything of it. Thanks for the input

According to Windows XP Inside Out:

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
A hardware driver or system service requested data that was not in memory, causing an exception error. The cause may be defective physical memory or incompatible software, especially remote control and antivirus programs. If the error occurs immediately after installing a device driver or application, try to use Safe Mode to remove the driver or uninstall the program.

Originally posted by dealer
my idea is you might have lowered your page file, which of cource should never be done in xp, or you might have created a static page file, which again should never be done

Dealer - You should never have a static paging file? I certainly disagree with that (yeah I know, someone else thinks otherwise). And as for "lowering" the paging file, there are clearly times that's also appropriate. For example, if you have a gig of ram, XP will set a 1.5 gig paging file - which we all know is much too large.

ok, no debate, but I do get to respond...allan, that's right, you should never set a static page file...well proven...ESPECIALLY if you have a gig of ram...you see allan, xp wants to have the ability to dump all the ram...it assumes that if you have a gig of ram, you are going to need a gig of ram...of course you need a dynamic page file, 1.5 is never too big a file for whatever amount of ram you have... if you have a gig of ram, xp will make sure it has whatever it wants,(usually 1.5), one way or the other, and that's a performance hit right there...and if the file is not dynamic, when you do appraoch the limits, you will get another performance hit...absolutely no reason to turn the file static whatsoever, and every reason to keep it dynamic...don't forget...the file remains static even with a dynamic setting...UNLESS the file becomes too small for your needs... fragmentation is a non issue.

Nonsense.

XP wants the ability to dump the ram because the programmers decided that in the event of an anomalous program termination there should be a record of what was in ram at the time so someone could analyze the "crash dump" (which, by the way, is next to impossible for even those programmers to do). So given the fact that the contents of ram are of little help at best (if anyone could make heads or tales of the dump in the first place) and since it makes more sense to disable write debugging information anyway, your argument is invalid. You're spending far too much time listening to people who know more about technical backstories and not enough about practical usage.

uh huh...I'm not making any argument whatsoever of why XP wants to dump, but we all know it wants to dump, and it will make sure it can.

a static file makes no sense, as you are just forcing XP to page somewhere else if it needs to...a file smaller then 1.5 makes no sence , as XP will just make room for it somewhere else whenever it needs to...you are trying to hold your breath...you can't hold your breath, you're going to breathe, period...it doesn't matter if someone somewhere doesn't think you aught need oxygen, you still need it just the same

anyway, I thought we weren't going to debate this

Ok, enough with the debating. I think there might actually be a problem with my RAM. How do i go about checking this...
Thanks

what kind of ram do you have?
which slot is it in?
what temperature is it running at?

It sounds like your ram is to hot to me, either that or its buggered. Get a ram heatsink kit, they dont cost much.

Ive got 1GB of RDRAM (dont even begin to flame) 4x256. Ive been noticing some other RAM related problems lately as well, such as programs refusing to run/open and error messages with RAM related messages. I have no idea how to check the status or temp. Any help is appreciated

If you do a search on Google for Ram Diagnostic Utilities you'll find a few cownloads to choose from. I'd do it for you but I'm on the run at the moment...sorry.

Run your system for 10 minutes, restart it and go into your BIOS, then go into sumthing like PC Health STATUS. Tell me ur system temp and cpu temp. (1gb of rd ram? nice, shame it aint working) wish i could afford that!

I think i have come to a conclusion, that it is not my hardware that is causing problems, but infact nView. Debugging utilities, have shown problems with the nView.dll. I can solve the problem by replacing the dll, but once i restart, the problem comes back again. I think it is best to entirely remove nView, but i dont know how.

Originally posted by allan
If. I'd do it for you but I'm on the run at the moment...sorry.

*Bytes searches through "Most wanted Criminal magazine" for Allan, No joy, Looks through the latest wanted posters. AH ! interesting *

Success! I completely removed nView and without a hitch. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back