page file size

C

carllark

HI I have a new system 2 hard drives & 1 gig of ddr memory I know the page file should be on the drive without the system files & the #s should be the same but what size?? Help!

Let Windows manage the pagefile size. Just move it to your second hard disk, and you should be fine :)

Also it would be best to put it on it's own partition so it doesn't get fragmented as often or at all. I have 768mb ddr ram and I put my swap on a 1400mb partition on the 2nd drive and it never get fragmented. I also set it to a max and min size of 1024 and my system has worked great.

pc dude..once the pagefile is defragmented, it cannot become fragmented no matter what happens short of a failing hardrive

Originally posted by dealer
pc dude..once the pagefile is defragmented, it cannot become fragmented no matter what happens short of a failing hardrive

:p :D

Originally posted by dealer

cmon dealer, you know better than that

the pagefile cannot possibly fragment once it's contigous...

anything you've heard otherwise is nonsense

if the pf expands, the added portion is discarded on reboot and the original pf is of course in the identical condition as it was before ecpansion...who doesn't know this?...it has not moved, and it has not broken apart

this is obvious, and it's amazing the myth of fragmentation ever got started concerning the nt pagefile, ...those that repeated the nonsense were just repeating gargbage that they heard somwhere else

anyone that thinks the pf can fragment has an incomplete understanding of what the pf is

it is a container file...nothing else can access the pf but for pf activity...nothing, nothing can move it, nothing can break it up

the behavior of a container file is much the same as a partition

it is impossible for it to fragment, short of a program deliberately moving the file offline, and short of bad sectors, it cannot happen

period

if you expand your initial minimum manually, you need to defrag the file

if you increase your ram, then thie initial minimum will increase, and you need to defrag it here also....this is the full exrent of pf fragmentation

Dealer don't take this the wrong way OK, but since I'm so ungodly sick of this PF stuff I'll keep this short, I don't know if you read my post the other forum. Anyway, if the pagefile expands it can get fragmented but yes as you said it would unfragment upon reboot. It still did get fragmented.

Last time:

Don't let windows manage your pagefile especially if you have low RAM. Set the minimum to 512MB regardless of RAM and set the maximum to 1024MB or more. It is big enough never to expand, but if it has to it can. Better than the alternative.

If you have two harddisks put it on a seperate disk than the OS
If you have two partitions don't bother.

your post here is a good one j, if you have low ram...however, there is no reason to set the initial minimum to such a low figure if you have high ram...1.5 ram is much more prudent, and will cause no harm...making it lower will cause harm to some users

for the vast majority of users, system managed is a hands down performance favorite over any setting that in any way lowers the pagefile,and no user will benefit from lowering the pf

less then 1.5 will definately slow some users down, higher then then 1.5 can not possibly slow some users down...simple, don't lower the pagefile if space is not an issue for you...pagefile bigger is fine, making it smaller is not.

it is incorrect to have an initial minimum lower then the default, and it will not speed your box...so just what purpose people who want to lower the pf is not a purpose in performance, it's a purpose of excersize, and that is it

I don't care if you have 2 gigs of ram, (assuming of course you have a big enough hardrive and space is no issue)...lower then 1.5 is not going to help your os in the slightest, and it is clearly not the best setting

in addition, when it's neccessary, and only when it's neccessary,the os only expands the pf to what it needs, so there is no loss whatsoever in allowing the max...4096 for expansion

this is very simple j, if you don't access your pagefile to the max, you are not using all of your ram to full potential, and you therefore don't need a proper pagefile...so what?

t's best to be ready for the day, then not be ready for the day that oyu do need a proper pagefile...if you don't want your box ready for best performance that's fine for you, but you accomplish absolutely nothing by lowering your pagefile...except the excersize of doing it.

period

it is definately counter productive to use a pf smaller then the optimum just because you think you'll never never get to use all of it...with the same reasoning, you might as well dissable most of your 80 gig hard drive because you will never use all of it...same thing

and finally, some sites try to say pf size is based on opinion...no... pf size is not an opinion...these are performance facts.

no user will be faster by lowering their pagefile, some users WILL be slower

some users will be faster by increasing their pagefile, no user will be slower

performance fact;
do not lower your pagefile if you plan on using your ram to it's full potential

simple

Originally posted by carllark
HI I have a new system 2 hard drives & 1 gig of ddr memory I know the page file should be on the drive without the system files & the #s should be the same but what size?? Help!
Thanks for trying to help me but now im more confused than ever! The only thing I know for sure is my page file should be on my disk without the system files. Still not sure what size I should make it or If I shold make the #s the same can anyone put this in simpler terms for me?

Re: Re: page file size

Originally posted by carllark
Thanks for trying to help me but now im more confused than ever! The only thing I know for sure is my page file should be on my disk without the system files. Still not sure what size I should make it or If I shold make the #s the same can anyone put this in simpler terms for me?

As I said, move it to the second hard drive, and let Windows manage the size of the pagefile.

netryder is 100% correct

also;

If you put the pagefile on another hardrive, leave a small amount on C: — an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is good here...

when I put the page file on drive c with the inital size at 2 & the max at 50 I get a error message saying system won't be able to create a debugging info if a stop error accurs?

ya, interesting.

I don't have two hardrives to figure out a configuration for you, however you need some pagefile on c.

here's a snippet from a mcirosoft whitepaper on taking the pagefiell off of c

completely removing the pagefile from the boot partition does not allow Windows to create a crash dump file (Memory.dmp) should a kernel mode STOP error occur. Not having this crash dump file could lead to extended server downtime should the STOP require a debug to be performed.

The optimal solution is to create one pagefile on the boot partition using the default settings and create one pagefile on another less frequently used partition. The best option is to create the second pagefile so that it is on its own partition, with no data or operating system-specific files.

Windows will use the pagefile on the less frequently used partition over the pagefile on the heavily used boot partition. Windows uses an internal algorithm to determine which page file to use for virtual memory management. In the above scenario, the following goals of the page file would be served:

etc from this paper

experiment with the size till your system is happy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back