packet filtering

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
Does anyone know of a good reliable packet filter software for windows? I am looking for something similar to what an ACL does in the cisco world. Which would be software that will alow me to allow or disallow any type of ethernet packet based on protocol, port #, ip address etc. If anyone has had any luck with any software that will accomplish this then it would be much appreciated to let me know.

...Which would be software that will alow me to allow or disallow any type of ethernet packet based on protocol, port #, ip address etc.

maybe something like this:

http://www.ttuga.com/download/81/detail_11246.html

It mainly does it at the DLL layer it seems but might be close to what you are looking for..

never used it, never really saw the reason too...

If I might ask, why do you feel you need it?
Dont you have a router to seperate your network from the internet?

lets just say i want to block a particular TCP packet based on port and direction.

well, windows server has some basic packet filtering built in..

How is your network setup? Are you using this windows box as a firewall? Are there two NIC's in this box?

no server, this is for home. Just a simple 4 port switch with router. 1 NIC

Win XP Pro

you should be able to use any semi-decent client firewall to setup a rule to block packets based on ports and destination..

you should be able to use any semi-decent client firewall to setup a rule to block packets based on ports and destination..

There are a million different firewall programs out there. So can someone reccomend a low resouce firewall that will work for this? por favor

* Always used hardware firewalls myself

low resource -

look n stop
jetico
kerio 2.15

i personally use (alongside my routers firewall) agnitum outpost 4 as a software firewall, but agnitum has started to become resource hungry bloatware (probably wont renew my license, their support has gone to crap too)

I'd say your best bet is to pop an openbsd or freebsd box between the router and the switch and have it filter and forward traffic and disable the firewall on the router if possible. Then you can get almost as powerful as carrier grade routers and switches :)

I'd say your best bet is to pop an openbsd or freebsd box between the router and the switch and have it filter and forward traffic and disable the firewall on the router if possible. Then you can get almost as powerful as carrier grade routers and switches :)

no i have enough wasted electricity as it is :)

I would highly suggest getting a Linksys (Cisco) or equivalent router and using the built in security features in there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back