P4 Overclocking - Worth It?

like i said before, i was never trying to say that 2.53 wasn't enough but if you can get a few extra MHz why the hell not?!? anyway everyone knows that memory bandwidth limits the P4's abilities thats why i'm running stock speeds again so i can use my memory divider to the full 200MHz capability of my ram :)

why not wait until you start to see you system slowing down in a year or two, and then boost your MHz, that way, you'll prolong the life of your chip.

in a year or two, I believe most of us will be using the next generation of chips...we will start with claw for compatibilty issues, and swich to intel when the issues are resolved one way or other for the raw power

processors are probably one of the only things you can buy where it will outlive its usefulness, in 2 years time i can't see myself using my current P4 so why try and prolong its life? it is a valid point though i will admit, but it just depends what you use a pc for.

Originally posted by kch1
Is it really worth overclocking? I have a 2.53 P4 which I run at 2.8 but at this speed i'm only able to run my ddr at 180 as apposed to 200 on stock processor speed. Benchmarking isn't really helping, can anyone shed any light as to what will give me the best real world performance gains?

Is it worth it? Oh yes baby, the more the mojo to the P4 the better...:D

There's this rumour about Northwoods just dying when they are overclocked....read it on Tweakers.net, (dutch page), they've found their info on some forum, where several peeps with Northwoods in their cpmputer that were slightly to heavily overclocked just dying out at startup or during use, some of them lasted a month, some 6 months....i don't trust it anyway....got my lovely Cellie 1.3ghz running at 1.48ghz for almost a year now, she works really sweet, even when gaming online:D, this is with a GF4 Ti4200 @310/660mhz...gonna go upgrade soon, Asus A7N8X Deluxe....not sure if im gonna wait for the Barton to come out....that 512kb cache is really gonna kick some ass fo sho....

what kind of ti4200 are you using? i've only been able to get my abit siluro 128MB up to 300/600 MHz. anyone else care to share their ti4200 overclocks?

I have a Point Of View GF4 Ti4200XP TurboII (www.pointofview-online.com), it has a copper heatsink (full copper), alu heatsinks on the memory, blue PCB, looks really sweet, equipped with 3.3ns memory (standard is 4.0ns), this clock is standard when you buy it from them, standard overclocked:D, it should be able to get higher than this, but i dont wanna frie the card...

Oh euh...forgot to mention, it's only available in europe...:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back