P=T/4.5+1 (or how to open a bottle of bubbly without wasting any of it)

hotmale

OSNN Addict
Scientists have developed a formula for the perfect way to uncork a bottle of champagne.

Dr Steve Smith, a lecturer in wine studies at Coventry University, has come up with the equation that describes the optimal technique to open bottles without flying corks and cascades of bubbly.

The formula, which has been named Smith's Law after its founder, is P = T/4.5 + 1, where P is pressure and T is temperature. It is based on the fact that the pressure in a typical bottle of champagne at room temperature is equivalent to the pressure of a double-decker bus tyre.

To make uncorking safe, the temperature of the liquid should be between 5C and 7C, which means the pressure will be 2 to 2.5 atmospheres, a third lower than when the bottle is at room temperature.

Dr Smith said: "If you get the temperature right, the pressure will be right and you will be able to enjoy the champagne at its best. There are three reasons why we should open it at the optimum temperature. First, when the temperature is lower the pressure will be lower, making it safer.

"Second, champagne tastes better when chilled because the acidity is emphasised. Third, the colder the champagne, the slower the bubbles are released which means you can enjoy them for longer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...bly26.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/12/26/ixhome.html

Alot of people have no life. I think we all knew champagne tastes better when cold.

lol, was that done on taxpayers money?

More pointless research
Scientific American said:
At the end of September, Nature published a study in which scientists made ferrets watch the movie The Matrix. I’ll wait while you read that last sentence again.

Indeed, researchers at the University of Rochester made a dozen ferrets watch The Matrix. (The idea of 12 sentient beings exposed to bad acting from stiff guys dressed in cheap suits particularly disturbs me, but that’s probably because I was just on jury duty.) Of course, you are no doubt wondering why serious scientists made ferrets watch The Matrix.
This question can be answered in threedifferent ways:
1. Why did researchers make ferrets watch The Matrix? Answer: Because there are some things that rats just won’t do.
2. Why did researchers make ferrets watch The Matrix? Answer: Because if they had made ferrets watch The Matrix Reloaded, animal-rights groups would have been storming the laboratory.
3. Why did researchers make ferrets watch The Matrix? Answer: To get a better handle on the nature of the perception of reality.
Seriously. The Matrix was an ironic choice, because that particular movie poses questions about whether what we commonly perceive is objective reality or just an imposed fi ction. But because the investigators were interested in how a brain processes visual stimulation.

I just picture this big room with loads of scientists in it going "....so now what do we do?"

so what happens if it's shaken but not stirred? will it still be the perfect way of uncorking a bottle of bubbly at those temps specified?

Khayman said:
lol, was that done on taxpayers money?

More pointless research

I just picture this big room with loads of scientists in it going "....so now what do we do?"

LMAO

I wanna get a grant, where do I apply? I could study the effects of kangaroos watching Ren & Stimpy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back