Overheating Problem

I like the idea of those cases that the whole case is the heatsink, too. I don't know if you can get away with that in all situations, though.

Wow, I just checked it out in more detail this time. You're right, that is a very nice case, especially for the price.

So I finally tested the videocard with some games.

The average temp with just normal use is around 67 to 72.

Right after coming out of a game its around 88, thats quite the increase. Is that normal?

Sounds normal to me, as far as the temp difference.

This is celcius, right?

67 c is 152.6 f! I have no idea what different video cards run at though; I've never measured mine. 88 c is 190.4 f. Yes, that does seem like a big increase but I still think that would be expected with a game running.

Sorry, have to continue original posting.

After installing the fan and all that I just had my first crash since. It basically was a mixture of the weird lines through video, freezing and blackscreen and all that, had to restart. Now I really don't think it's an overheating problem because my system and the videocard are running at good temps.

Anyone have ideas of what else could be causing this problem? It might be somewhat related to heat and such but i don't think its directly a heat problem, since obviously it's not as often, I went a couple days without nothing this time.

*edit,

the more and more i think about it, I think it only happens within Media Player Classic, could it be possible its causing problems with vista? But I am not sure, might also happen with PowerDVD, i just don't use it as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Bman... Your temps are still very high for my liking...

I am an overclocking addict... the most likely cause has already been mentioned... your thermal paste may have hardened and instead of helping move heat away is isolating it to your vid card...

Get your temps down to the low 60's at full load and I am betting you will be MUCH better of... do not skimp on a good thermal paste... it makes all the difference in the world...

Taks your vid card out, take the heat sink off, clean off any existing thermal paste, clean the area with isopropyl alcohol, and reapply enough paste to cover the mounting area of the heatsink.

Hope this helps, write back again when you have tried redoing the thermal paste I am sure you will be shocked by the change in temps...

Mike A!

Remind me again on what a good thermal paste is these days? And I will for sure do this, I might as well try right. I will write back when completed.

arctic silver has always been good to me in the past.. but it's been a while since I put together a new system.

Seconding Arctic Silver.

the more and more i think about it, I think it only happens within Media Player Classic, could it be possible its causing problems with vista? But I am not sure, might also happen with PowerDVD, i just don't use it as much.

Sure, it's possible. Especially if it ONLY happens in MPC. If it happens in others as well then of course it's not your media players. Are you using the latest official nVidia video drivers from their web site?

It has happened with more then 1 media player so its not the players or codecs.

If I may comment at this late stage on this older reply of yours, the same codec(s) can be used by multiple media players, which is their advantage. I don't use MPC but I believe it still uses external (not built-in) codecs, so it might use the same codecs that PowerDVD does.

I'm not exstatic about your video card temperature, but if you finally determine that it's not that, then I would:

1. Figure out for sure if the problem is happening with more than one media player.

2. If it is, try to test/notice if it's the same type of videos that always have the problem (WMV, AVI, MPG...).

If it is, that would be fairly strong evidence it's a codec problem. I would defintiely encourage you to pursue the heat angle first, though.

Another simple test you can try is using a media player that doesn't use external codecs like VLC (VideoLAN). I know you might be thinking that the very last thing you need is yet another piece of software or media player installed. Because it uses it's own built-in routines, it's great for avoiding codec conflicts and just plain having to install codecs at all.

I would install it, uncheck the option to associate itself with any videos/audios, and then choose Open With on a video and (uncheck to use by default) select VLC to try it on a video you know you've had the problem with.

Remind me again on what a good thermal paste is these days? And I will for sure do this, I might as well try right. I will write back when completed.

I used to use only Artic Silver Ceramiqe or Arctic Silver 5. Both of those are good. However, I was involved in a TIM test recently using Innovation Cooling Diamond 7. That stuff amazed me. It's very good. Best TIM I've ever tried.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182778

Seconding Arctic Silver.

Sure, it's possible. Especially if it ONLY happens in MPC. If it happens in others as well then of course it's not your media players. Are you using the latest official nVidia video drivers from their web site?

If I may comment at this late stage on this older reply of yours, the same codec(s) can be used by multiple media players, which is their advantage. I don't use MPC but I believe it still uses external (not built-in) codecs, so it might use the same codecs that PowerDVD does.

I'm not exstatic about your video card temperature, but if you finally determine that it's not that, then I would:

1. Figure out for sure if the problem is happening with more than one media player.

2. If it is, try to test/notice if it's the same type of videos that always have the problem (WMV, AVI, MPG...).

If it is, that would be fairly strong evidence it's a codec problem. I would defintiely encourage you to pursue the heat angle first, though.

Another simple test you can try is using a media player that doesn't use external codecs like VLC (VideoLAN). I know you might be thinking that the very last thing you need is yet another piece of software or media player installed. Because it uses it's own built-in routines, it's great for avoiding codec conflicts and just plain having to install codecs at all.

I would install it, uncheck the option to associate itself with any videos/audios, and then choose Open With on a video and (uncheck to use by default) select VLC to try it on a video you know you've had the problem with.

This problem is hard to test, since now it only seems to happen once in awhile, I will try playing the videos in VLC, I know it has happened in both PowerDVD and MPC, so if it does not happen in VLC, it's a codec? I have FFDShow or whatever it's called installed, and this is the first time I have ever used it as well. So I guess we will see.

I will try playing the videos in VLC, I know it has happened in both PowerDVD and MPC, so if it does not happen in VLC, it's a codec? I have FFDShow or whatever it's called installed, and this is the first time I have ever used it as well. So I guess we will see.

If it doesn't happen with VLC, it's just stronger evidence that it's a codec, but still not conclusive. As I said, that video temperature is quite high so I would pursue it first. The temperature difference between normal and game seemed fine, it's just the temperature in general that seemed really high.

I use Vista Codec Pack and QuickTime Lite for VCP and they work just fine. I think it might use FFDShow too or at least include it, as a lot of codec packs do. I haven't had the problem you're having, at least not in many years, but codec conflicts have been known to happen, so just keep it in mind as a possibility if lowering the temperature of your video card doesn't help.

Also strong evidence that it is a heat problem is that you said it doesn't happen as often anymore, and you had successfully lowered the overall temperature already.

I haven't done the videocard thing yet, reapplying the paste.

I just wanted add that I just got a bluescreen, not sure if i posted it happened before. I had the computer running for about a day and a half no problems, when it crashed to the bluescreen i had a video paused in MCP, doing other things....so i guess it don't help to determine what it really is.

Until you have your problem solved, have you stopped overclocking? It could make it that much more difficult to figure out what the real problem is, plus hard to tell when the first problem gets solved since overclocking can add it's own problems to the mix.

I have just underclocked, back to default 2.4Ghz. I am going to use my system like I have been and see if it changes (i hope it does not). Once that has happened, then I will try the codec thing as well.

if it does fix it you can then look at voltages and dividers to see if thats the issue

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back